Feature Request - Minor UX improvement - "Sketch Tools" always appearing when not needed

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Feature Request - Minor UX improvement - "Sketch Tools" always appearing when not needed

Post by adrianinsaval »

I tested and I get the same behavior, as OP said it only happens when closing the sketch with the esc key, using the close button works as expected. @wmayer @abdullah any clues on why this is the case?
Last edited by adrianinsaval on Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bance
Veteran

Re: Feature Request - Minor UX improvement - "Sketch Tools" always appearing when not needed

Post by Bance »

I get this behaviour, the sketch edit mode has to be exited via ESC key.

Can't say it's a particular problem....

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.28751 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 660655e)
Hash: 660655e54c97b5017ff0ac1e030059308cd4e3f5
Python 3.9.12, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.5.0
  * fasteners 0.3.46
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * CurvedShapes 1.0.3
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.13.3
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I have never seen this either. I tried all sorts of changes to the configuration and the "Sketch Tools" never popped up unexpectedly.

The OP violated Rule #1, which is to disclose system parameters via the "About" data. :?

I would not make any changes to the code until this is better defined.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Bance wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:39 pm I get this behaviour, the sketch edit mode has to be exited via ESC key.

Aha...maybe that's why. I have that silly "exit with esc key" turned off...now that's annoying when you hit esc to exit a sketcher tool and the keyboard key has a jitter. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I learned to deactivate sketcher tools with right click instead
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:53 pm I learned to deactivate sketcher tools with right click instead
Sure, that's the typical way. But, occasionally...and with it disabled I just don't have to be annoyed when it happens. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't see this bahaviour either My question is: does the special behaviour with the ESC key trigger recompute?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
JohnOCFII

Post by JohnOCFII »

When testing, I also get the same behavior as the OP, and also only when hitting ESC instead of hitting the CLOSE box to exit Sketcher.

It seems odd to me that the CLOSE box has different behavior than the ESC key in this situation.

I made a default .mov video attachment, but this forum software doesn't like that, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29436 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: f4ec49ed28cbc3d7e4e8bec2842c9df696aa13e6
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

JohnOCFII wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:53 pm I made a default .mov video attachment, but this forum software doesn't like that, so you'll have to use your imagination.
You can upload it to a 3rd party hosting..?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
JohnOCFII

Post by JohnOCFII »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:00 pm
JohnOCFII wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:53 pm I made a default .mov video attachment, but this forum software doesn't like that, so you'll have to use your imagination.
You can upload it to a 3rd party hosting..?
Good idea.
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added video tag