Poll about FreeCAD's background color

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

[Poll] Should FreeCAD have by default a simple color or a color gradient?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:25 pmPlease note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

No (as in FreeCAD 0.19)
28%
No, but other gradient
18%
Yes, light grey (e.g. 205, 205, 205)
15%
Yes, very light grey (e.g. 224, 224, 224)
13%
I don't care
13%
Yes, slight yellow light grey (e.g. 212, 212, 200)
8%
Yes, but other color than listed in the poll
5%
Yes, plain white
3%

Total votes: 40
uwestoehr
Veteran

Poll about FreeCAD's background color

Post by uwestoehr »

Poll ends in 3 days. First then the results will be visible

The colors are purposely not included here as image because only when you set them in your FreeCAD you can make a decision.

There is no promise it will be changed last minute for FreeCAD 0.20! But it would be good to have at least feedback.
chennes
Veteran

Re: Poll about FreeCAD's background color

Post by chennes »

What tyranny is this?! We need approval voting, or ranked choice! :lol:

I don't like the standard gradient, and am sort of hoping some awesome Preference Packs get created in the next few months that replace it with something else. Then when we release 1.0 we can have a FirstRun dialog like many apps have now that let you pick a color palette to start with. I am personally happy to have a change, but don't actually feel so strongly about what we change to.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chennes wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:18 pm I don't like the standard gradient,
then vote accordingly 8-)

chennes wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:18 pm we can have a FirstRun dialog like many apps have now that let you pick a color palette to start with.
This is tricky because how can you know what color might suit you as new user. You also need to see how the default color for new objects fit with the background color, the same is for the NaviCube. So for new users such a dialog is not very helpful and experienced users found their settings and can reuse them thanks to this cool new feature:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Preference_Packs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

In a somewhat related note please remove the gradients from the task panel :? it doesn't look particularly good by default on windows and it looks awful with other system wide color schemes when using the appimage.

for the background color I'd like some blue but without the gray gradient or with a different tone of blue for the gradient, or gray without the blue gradient.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Yes and No are not correct answers to "Should FreeCAD have by default a simple color or a color gradient?" since you provide two options to choose from in the question. Perhaps the question should be changed to "Should FreeCAD have by default a simple color instead of a color gradient?".

I would also like such a poll for the default color of the models. I think that it could look better if it was a bit lighter gray.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

What does it matter?
First thing I did was to change default background colour to suit my tastes...
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

Surely colors are a personal preference, but, contrast mixed with non strident colors are good for the eyes.
Attachments
103.png
103.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:47 pm Poll ends in 3 days.
We shouldn't do this by a poll. On - at least some - macOS systems the simple color doesn't work properly. We shouldn't make the defaults system dependent without need, so I recommend to cancel the voting completely.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Hi together,

finding a nice matching colour is much harder than i thought... The only colour is badly picked in my opinion is the RED in the
sketch. I believe you will never satisfy everyone, what i also believe is that colours are responsible for the specific recognition
of products. The recognition is important...

I found a nice match to replace the red colour in the sketch, sure about that :D . Without changing the rest of the colour
scheme. It is a simple friendly colour working in every shade of the gradient. Oh and the mouse over yelow dimension looks
nice and fits the so called spring green.
Attachments
FMX-4 Facetmobile.png
FMX-4 Facetmobile.png (80.39 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
#20 Spring Green R000 G255 B128.png
#20 Spring Green R000 G255 B128.png (233.5 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Last edited by jimmihenry on Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:54 pm We shouldn't do this by a poll. On - at least some - macOS systems the simple color doesn't work properly. We shouldn't make the defaults system dependent without need, so I recommend to cancel the voting completely.
For FC 0.20 no change will happen to be honest -simply too late.

However, when people complain about color gradients, then it is worth to have a look what people think about this. Is this an issue or not? If it is and the majority prefers a simple color, we should act. Whatever that means, fixing the bug you mentioned (by the where where is this reported?), or with another gradient.

Asking the community never harms.