[Feature Request] Radial array/polar pattern in Sketcher

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bance
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Radial array/polar pattern in Sketcher

Post by Bance »

Let me be clear, if you wish to implement this you are free to do so. I do not object to it per se, I simply do not see the need for it.

FC is after all a parametric modeler.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Bance wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:39 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:58 pm Polar or Linear Pattern are dumb actions.
But it is parametric ;)
Good point! Parametric control of the number of instances and separation is a major advantage.
NewJoker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 pm Tools such as polar and rectangular pattern are made mainly for the convenience. I understand that they are not absolutely necessary since different modeling approach can replace them (and it might be even better for software performance and in terms of good modeling practices). But there are often cases when models are small (so there's no issue with performance or messy model tree) and it's convenient to use pattern right in the sketcher.
Sure, I just doubt this will be in many developers priority list for those reasons, anybody who wants to implement it should go ahead!
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:58 pm Polar or Linear Pattern are dumb actions. You have to know dimensions or center.
NewJoker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 pm Tools such as polar and rectangular pattern are made mainly for the convenience.
Sorry, but that is not correct. Can you pattern with a sketch a revolve/groove, sweep, loft, primitives, ..... ? No.

When you can pattern/mirror something in the sketcher, you can pattern it with features. But when you pattern something with the pattern tool, you can not do all in the sketcher. Also the overview is more structured, you see all patterns and mirrors. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p529770

Also as said, the solver will not do that and patterns are much faster in 0.20. I do not want to know how many people will cry because FreeCAD is so slow if sketcher has patterns.

And it is more or less a quasi CAD workflow norm, because it has crystallized that is the best way to handle patterns.

Greetings
user1234
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Bance wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:39 pm But it's not parametric
I don't want to change the occurence, I want to set positions.
Not everything is (and need to be) parametric.
NewJoker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 pm Tools such as polar and rectangular pattern are made mainly for the convenience. I understand that they are not absolutely necessary since different modeling approach can replace them (and it might be even better for software performance and in terms of good modeling practices). But there are often cases when models are small (so there's no issue with performance or messy model tree) and it's convenient to use pattern right in the sketcher.
+10
Last edited by Shalmeneser on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:44 pm After all, there's a reason why the sketcher of pretty much every CAD program has this option, and even in the sketchers of simple geometry modelers in CAE programs tools like radial pattern (or item rotation mentioned in my previous feature request) appear.
From what I learned, there are not many other programs with a sketcher as powerful as FreeCAD's. You may consider to use any of these other programs.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

chrisb wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:23 pm From what I learned, there are not many other programs with a sketcher as powerful as FreeCAD's.
Sketcher is great and I want to use its capabilities. This feature is not for everyday use, but sometimes it would be helpfull like : Centered Rectangle, Rounded Rectangle, Regular Polygon, Fillet with dimension. You don't need to use them but you are happy to find them.
You may consider to use any of these other programs.
That's not the point.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:24 pm This feature is not for everyday use
Except that noobs will use it for everything then wonder why their model breaks.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Bance wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:45 pm ...
Except that noobs will always wonder why their model breaks.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

True enough :lol: :lol: :lol:
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 pm
I would do it this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLddvjWf1w