[RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [RFC] Rocketry Workbench

Post by Kunda1 »

So impressive!!!
grandcross wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 am On the positive side, I'm getting quite good at figuring out the undocumented APIs, and before anyone asks I'm not ready to take that on too.
:lol: :mrgreen:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 am So impressive!!!
grandcross wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:13 am On the positive side, I'm getting quite good at figuring out the undocumented APIs, and before anyone asks I'm not ready to take that on too.
:lol: :mrgreen:
I figured you'd pick up on that part. The last part of that comment was specifically for you :lol:
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Taking another side track to capture low hanging fruit. I'm still working on a full rocket builder but these are nice simple little features I can program when I want something simple. Calculators!

The first one is a thrust to weight calculator, which given the weight provides a recommended average thrust.
Thrust to weight calc.png
Thrust to weight calc.png (15.84 KiB) Viewed 2509 times
I'm working on a second that will calculate altimeter port sizing given body tube dimensions. Some other simple ones would be a black powder calculator for ejection charges, and parachute size calculator for a given mass and descent rate.

Any other simple calculators you'd like to see?
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

Love me some calculators! I humbly as a very poor coder wonder if you might be interested in the attached script of mine which calculates a nominal surface area of a parachute related to a rockets airframe mass and a desired terminal velocity... It's written to deliver the nominal area as defined in Knacke's parachute design stuff and I have a couple of larger parachute design calculators (crossform and annular and others) but they may be a bit much/too esoteric for the Rocket workbench?
Attachments
parachute_nominal_area_diameter_calculator.py
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

concretedog wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 am Love me some calculators! I humbly as a very poor coder wonder if you might be interested in the attached script of mine which calculates a nominal surface area of a parachute related to a rockets airframe mass and a desired terminal velocity... It's written to deliver the nominal area as defined in Knacke's parachute design stuff and I have a couple of larger parachute design calculators (crossform and annular and others) but they may be a bit much/too esoteric for the Rocket workbench?
Perfect!

Send me the other ones too. Esoteric is what I'm going for... it makes the workbench a go to place, and they're easy to add.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

grandcross wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:37 pm Send me the other ones too. Esoteric is what I'm going for... it makes the workbench a go to place, and they're easy to add.
@concretedog have you used git before? (if not, that's cool...you just need to know like 10% of it to get by)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
concretedog

Post by concretedog »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:48 pm
grandcross wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:37 pm Send me the other ones too. Esoteric is what I'm going for... it makes the workbench a go to place, and they're easy to add.
@concretedog have you used git before? (if not, that's cool...you just need to know like 10% of it to get by)
Yeah I'm on github and gitlab and use gitlab more! Most of the calculator stuff I was putting up on the open research rocketry gitlab but sadly we have closed down ORR (Covid stopped it's main activities and it was costing me money). As ORR closed the contributors decided to make the repo's private. I'm fine though to share the calculator stuff but I need to get it onto my personal github probably.
grandcross

Post by grandcross »

Update:

Work continues on the "rocket builder". A lot has been done but it will be a while before it's stable. You can preview it now if you're brave buy doing a manual install from Github and selecting the rocket_editor branch.

I you choose to do so, be prepared for bugs big and small. As I said it's not stable yet. Also do a pull before each use as I'm pushing fixes and updates fairly frequently.

Building a rocket is very similar to how you would do it using open rocket in that it builds a tree of parts. Part Workbench looks similar. You start by creating a rocket, adding a stage, and adding parts to the stage. I'm working on the tree editor which is far from complete, so for now please change the order of the parts using the arrows. Dragging and dropping in particular has known issues.
rocket builder.png
rocket builder.png (87.7 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Saving your rocket may also cause issues as the data model is very dynamic.

The good news is you can try it out, and then revert to the current version by selecting the master branch!
roguex

Post by roguex »

Good evening all. I am new to FreeCAD however, I am a Certified SolidWorks Professional with a side order of OpenRocket, RPA, Python and collegiate rocketry experience. Currently an Industry Advisor with the Portland State Aerospace Society.

Is development of the Rocket Workbench still ongoing? I would love to assist in its development...

JP Johnston ME CSWP
Irish Viking | Rocketeer | Ancient-Nerdsmith | Geek | Hacker | MSME | CWSP | #BoilerUp | GO PACK GO! | For Life!!!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

roguex wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:54 pm Is development of the Rocket Workbench still ongoing? I would love to assist in its development...
Oh yea, it's on :fire:
grandcross/davesrocketshop is the main dev

Repo: https://github.com/davesrocketshop/Rocket
https://twitter.com/DavesRocketShop use the #RocketWorkbench hashtag to see progress.