FreeCAD speed tests

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

FreeCAD speed tests

Post by PrzemoF »

It's just an idea for now, but I think we could try to gather database of execution time of "FreeCAD -t 0" + some hardware info and see if some gear is better than another. Thoughts?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD speed tests

Post by kkremitzki »

This would also be nice in terms of catching speed regressions.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

+1
how do we go about do this ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

How about create a sticky (or use a current one) and place a few files in it, this way folks can download the same file, obviously with creater permissions. I guess then start a speed test thread and see how it goes.

I always use the Aeromotor for my at home testing, it is 8 megs. That takes around 14 seconds to load which seems like a resonable time to test different machines.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Loading a large model seems a good idea, but I'm not sure how to solve caching problem - running the same thing again might be much faster.

My initial idea was to run full test suite - it gives execution time as well. We could do both.
No the question what we want to know about the system? I think it's enough to get CPU type, graphic card type & driver and amount of memory.

Add data stored in a git repo - we'll think about visualisation later.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This may be too ambitious but perhaps we could code a script that automates the tests we want to get data for? That way we know precisely how long it takes instead of relying on the user to
  • The script would be either bundled with the test files (or pulled from the official FC repository online)
  • The script then runs some operations similar to the Test WB.
  • Asks if the user would be OK with reporting the results via the script to a remote server
  • The remote server has a DB that captures the results.
  • The data is then published to be compared.
None of the data will have identifying/personal info so privacy will be honored.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Sounds very good. It could be part of current Test framework, so no need for external script. Hardware info can be obtained in python [1] - that should solve some problems with scripting on 3 supported systems.

The remote server and db would be great, but it might be hard to do. I mean it's easy to code, but you have to have server and someone willing to make sure it works and it's safe. I'd say for the first step we could have a topic here with attached result files. Once we know the info is worth something we could try to implement the remote server/database.

[1] https://www.thepythoncode.com/article/g ... n#CPU_info
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

To test the graphic card there could be a macro that rotates something (like the aeromotor) at 1 degree increments and then time a full 360 degree rotation. I would think a simple stop watch would do the job but then I time stuff a lot. I'm not a fan of web based stuff when it can be done locally.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

PrzemoF wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:35 am No the question what we want to know about the system? I think it's enough to get CPU type, graphic card type & driver and amount of memory.
I would also suggest operating system, ... prove that Linux rules ... hopefully! :D

The last time we did any speed testing we just got a very complex model then marked all for recompute and ran recompute.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

"fight the good fight"