FreeCAD, the SolidWorks Killer

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

Re: FreeCAD, the SolidWorks Killer

Post by Piero69 »

Hi,

i partially agree with you , FC is on the right way but currently it's still rather distant to be the SolidWorks Killer both as features and as ability (I talk obviously about sketcher/Part design and drawing).

the inabylity to import sketch and feature dimensions directly into the drawing is a big limit, wasting time to re-dimension something already dimensioned is a folly. Sketch and feature dimesions are real "dimensions" not only simple constraints like some people says.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 am the inabylity to import sketch and feature dimensions directly into the drawing is a big limit,
No. I usually don't need the sketch dimensions on my drawing.
The design dimensions are seldom those that need to be documented on a drawing and measured on the physical item.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:22 am ...
No. I usually don't need the sketch dimensions on my drawing.
The design dimensions are seldom those that need to be documented on a drawing and measured on the physical item.
Indeed.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:16 am the inabylity to import sketch and feature dimensions directly into the drawing is a big limit, wasting time to re-dimension something already dimensioned is a folly.
There are various places where FreeCAD forces a user doing things rather right than fast. I like that. With some training you will not loose much time, although I admit that in a professional environment every minute may count.

For me the sketches are the basis of the models and I spend most time getting these right. Maintainable. Stable. At that time I don't want to think about a drawing which someone else may have to understand.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

theimposingdwarf wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:17 pm ...I wonder why FreeCAD couldn't do the same in an arguably more technical domain.
I agree with you and I believe that freecad will become the most widely used cad system in the next few years
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I agree that currently FC is no SW killer!
I agree not on the argument that it is handy to take over dimensions on drawing. The main reason (I'm from a Creo background and creo is quite strong in this) is that to often you have 100 dimensions and you can use are 4 to 8 or so. and the dimension you can use is mentioned 6 times Which one do you choose...
To make use of this you need a knowledge how to build a model so you can use it that way. And most of the time there are to much iteration / model changes during an engineeringsproces that it don't help. In my opinion it only work when you work for a company that create a dedicated product and - when you need a change - you get the freedom in the start to model untill everthing is perfect. Start all over modeling so that it is possible to use model dimensions.

If comparing it to SW / Creo / NX... I think there need some effort in PD. I have the feeling that a lot of things are done / have to be done in the sketcher because of lack of functionlity in in PD.
A simple example: I want to create a extrusion profile. I need constantly add offsets in the sketcher but when a thickness option was possible in the extrude (and or revolve) you can take numerous shortcuts.
If it is a close profile you can do a lot with multiple steps.... but when an open profile i prefer it to do is in Creo ;)

There was some time back somebody who wants to add an option to the pattern so that the delta's can set and the number. That was a 'simple' improvement what quite often are complains about but never result in a change... I'm not sure if it is in list of pull request (or that is never finished)... at least it isn't implemented in 0.20 ...
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

theimposingdwarf wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:17 pm It is outrageous to me that in the software engineering fields, the most cutting edge technology, amazing software, can be had for almost nothing.
@theimposingdwarf I liked this text the most. It's controversial from developer perspective the most. If you go to BMW dealer and tell give those cars for free, they would call the police. But you have to work for free?

I remember 25 years ago when I started my studies at the university, in those days in Poland, in order to have free software in the company, you had to buy a newsletter with a CD "Linux". Accountants didn't know anything like "free". It couldn't be entered into the financial books. Maybe communism was the best kind of capitalism.

This is an interesting political, global problem. Should everything be paid but the free illegal. People should live in a world driven by corporations that make them pay for nothing. In a sense, it gives job stability, a sense of financial security, developers earn well, do not have to work on junk contracts. But the people who run such corporations deserve to hold such a power?

Maybe the current breakdown is correct. Corporations won't buy software without technical support and training anyway. If someone has a $40 furniture to make, why pay $5,000 for software that won't do it? Maybe thanks to free software you can help the poor in their everyday struggle with adversities?

The question remains, how do you draw the line from which software is too good to be free? But maybe it has a good effect on motivating the corporation, maybe if they feel a whip on their backs, it will encourage them to improve their products and change their arrogant attitude?
The order of the columns does not look familiar? Suddenly everyone became interested in generating BOMs, and they slept for so many years?

theimposingdwarf wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:17 pm I have found CREO is the worst offender in this regard.

I am not famillar with any CAD software but I would not depreciate such CREO politics. Probably such software also has its target group. If someone only uses one functionality. This ensures that nothing will change for the next 20 years. Maybe they bet on extreme stability. For the operation of a large company, stability is more important than a new functionality that no one will use anyway.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

dprojects wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 am ....
intellectual property and software is the only thing that can be shared without diminishing :-)

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:27 am intellectual property and software is the only thing that can be shared without diminishing :-)
you mean MIT not LGPL vCorporatePlan, I hope not typo ;-) the greatest inventors died in poverty, is that good? does the world reward enthusiasts? talented people? are the priorities right? the world is strange and there are many unresolved problems...

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

dprojects wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:18 am ...
I can imagine a world where everyone works half a day physically, for money and the other half mentally, and the results are shared