Open Discussion and Call for Screenshots Topics

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Open Discussion and Call for Screenshots Topics

Post by bejant »

I wonder if these topics should be moved from the Development area...maybe adding a third heading in addition to Help and Development (here) just called "Open Discussion"?

For example, isn't Show your FreeCAD Projects Here really for all FreeCAD users, as is Call for ScreensShots ?

BTW, if you like, you can use any screenshot I've already posted.
bejant
Veteran

Re: Open Discussion and Call for Screenshots Topics

Post by bejant »

A source of confusion also seems to be that the two forum sections are Help and Development.

If Development is intended to be mainly for developers, shouldn't it be called Developers?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Well non-developers are welcome to join in the discussion. Or tolerated? :mrgreen:

The idea is that all the forums under the Development section are about FreeCAD development. Under that light, I agree that the Open discussion forum is not really in its place. Even if it would be odd to create a new section with only one forum in it, I think it would be better than the current situation which can cause confusion.

One thing that puzzles me is more and more newcomers posting help requests in the Development section, sometimes in a forum that is absolutely not relevant to their problem. :|
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

normandc wrote:One thing that puzzles me is more and more newcomers posting help requests in the Development section, sometimes in a forum that is absolutely not relevant to their problem.
We've seen this and maybe some wording changes will help steer new users to the correct area of the forum relative to their needs?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Simple answer I come up with would be to rename the "Help" section to "Users" and move the "Open discussion" and maybe even the "Feature Announcements" there and be done with it. I'm sure there will still be those new arrivals that will post in the wrong place, and at times it can be a tossup as to just where one should make a post. Python scripting and Macros to this day still has me wondering just where to post... Hummmmm, maybe a new subsection under the new "Users" area like "Python scripting and Macros" could be of some benefit ;)

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

quick61 wrote:Python scripting and Macros to this day still has me wondering just where to post... Hummmmm, maybe a new subsection under the new "Users" area like "Python scripting and Macros" could be of some benefit
I like it, it would have the advantage of concentrating them in one spot, they would be easier to find.

As for users VS developers... The deal is, would it discourage newcomers from sharing their thoughts in the "Developers" section? I'm a user myself, and I think getting feedback from users, not only developers, is important.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

normandc wrote:I like it, it would have the advantage of concentrating them in one spot, they would be easier to find.

As for users VS developers... The deal is, would it discourage newcomers from sharing their thoughts in the "Developers" section? I'm a user myself, and I think getting feedback from users, not only developers, is important.
Only speaking for my own self, the developers section has never seemed off limits to me, as once one reads through a few of the postings here it is easy to get the feeling that user inputs are welcome and even needed. It can always be tried, as I don't think anyone will be grabbing for the hammer and chisel to carve the change into stone. :)

Glad you liked the idea on Python scripting and Macros - I make it into the "broken watch / blind squirrel" category every now and then.

Mark
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Bump!

Based on our short discussion here (wish more people would join in), here's a proposal:

Code: Select all

Board index
  - Users
        - Help on using FreeCAD
          Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).

- Python scripting and macros
          Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!

- Install / Compile
          Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.

- Open discussion
          Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.

- Feature Announcements
          Info about new implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!

- Developers
        - Current list of forums minus Open Discussion and Feature Annoucements

- Forums in other languages
bejant, if you don't mind, I suggest renaming your topic to something more "generalist" like "Changing current forum structure", or something else if you have a better idea. I would like for more people to contribute to this discussion, so far it's passed below the radar...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I agree 100% with your proposal Norm
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Um, I have a word for the proposed format.... ah, got it...YES!. Personally I have been holding back on a few scripting questions for lack of not knowing just where to try to fit them in. Your proposal looks like a logical and positive move in the right direction for this board.

Mark