Arch, slab

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Arch, slab

Post by bernd »

I wonder if there have been any ideas of having an extra element for slabs in Archmodule? As an structural engineer slabs are the most important elements for me. It would be very helpful in creating buildings and for imported buildings as well to have an own element for slabs.

Bernd
yorik
Founder

Re: Arch, slab

Post by yorik »

Actually until now I've been using structural elements to make slabs, because I don't see much why they should be different, after all they all have length, width, height, and can be based on a profile. Do you think to other properties they should have?

I'm more interested in the armatures from your post in the other thread... That I would be very interested to add, somehow... I don't have much experience with structural engineering software, though, so I don't have a very clear idea of how to implement that...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I have been thinking if I really need a seperate element slab ... I'm fine without it (for now ;) ) because the main reason I was asking was to distinguish slabs from other elements.

I would like to do dimension calculation on modells using freecad. For example the volume of concrte columns and volume of concrete walls and volume of concrete slabs. For this reason I need to distingish between elements.

In my new opinion (after I have been thinking :D ) this should be defined using a Data Property.

By the way in Nemetschek Allplan as well as Tekla Structures every Element has a property to which ifcobject it gets exported. In both software the user can change this property. It is very useful. If freecad will export to ifc one day, it needs such property.

Such property would be even exact what one needs to distingish between building elements.

Property -- > ifcojecttype
Value --> ifcslab, ifcbeam, ifcolumn, ifcwall, ifcallthearchitectureelementswhichmakesabuildinghomelikebutengineersdontcareabout, ...

Bernd

regarding reinforcement. I'm gone open a new thread as soon as the script runs the way I want it to run. I could provide every information regarding reinforcement, hopfully ;) It's the buissnis I work in, doing structural calculations and reinforcement drawings. An arch elemet reinforcement would be much more easier than all this cylinders ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hmm interesting... We could maybe add a drop-down list property, which would allow to set the role of a structural element, like column, beam, slab, or whatever... Even wall! I'm not sure what is the best way: that, or to create a separate object for each, which inherits the properties of the generic structural object. In either cases, it is easy to do.

And for an Arch Reinforcement object, that could be embedded inside a structural element, yes, let's do it! Indeed we need to define what it can do, and what properties it can have...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Yea I like the drop-down list property idea.

I'm going one step further, there are actually hundreds of properties which could be defined the way Property --> Value. The whole openstreetmapformat ist done this way.

In Nemetschek Allplan the property is called attribut. One can choose from a cataloge of more than 500 properties and of course define their own properties. But in Nemetschek Allplan it is not possible to change the visibility of an element according the element properties. One has to group elements to layers and change the visibility of layers. Really poor. In my opinion the biggest lack of Allplan, a really huuuuuuuuuge one. It's not BIM-like in my opinion.

Having all the defined properties in freecad it would be possible to do a contract document or an estimate of costs for which all dimensions and properties of a building are needed. For the building shell, the one I'm interested in, it would be not to difficault to do such document because most important dimension (concrete volume) is allready available for arch elemets in freecad. I just need to distinguish between differnt typs of concrete according the properties. For the form work the approach would be similar.

Exampels could be

load-bearing --> yes or no (one of the most important for me, because I have got further ideas ... :) )
code name --> swiss code
code typ --> SIA262
code version --> 2003

material name --> steel
material engineer --> S235

color --> blue (the real color the real element will have, not the one of freecad)
color typ --> the color typ one needs to buy for painting the color
color application --> coating or spray-coat
anti-corrosive protection --> hot-dip galvanised

material name --> concrete
concrete antifreeze protection --> yes
concrete antifreeze protection typ --> XF1
concrete de-icing salt protection --> yes
concrete de-icing salt protection --> XD3
concrete typ --> NPK A
facing concrete --> yes
water impermeability --> yes

form work typ --> board or table
form work surface typ --> Typ 2

and so on and on and on

The idea could be having a separate widget to define and activate the property and the type of value for the marked building elements. In Register Data of element properties the property is choosen by a drop-down list and the value could be a drop-down list or a string or a int or something else.

Hopefully you got my point. My english is not as good as it should be. Kind Regards Bernd

by the way. When I first read about the separation of element properties between real data and view information in freecad a few weeks ago I was immediately thinking. These guys are doing exact what I have been wishing myself from Allplan Nemetschek for years, real BIM.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Imagine for any building object a date of assembling is set. Having this information it should not be to difficault to make a movie how the building is built 8-). One could export to caldav and has deadline for delivering drawings in his calendar.

The property value and python would gibe us endless possibilities, CAD-Systems without such a python konsole never ever could offer. The main reason for me to use freecad, Real BIM 8-)

Bernd
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

berndhahnebach wrote:The property value and python would gibe us endless possibilities, CAD-Systems without such a python konsole never ever could offer. The main reason for me to use freecad, Real BIM 8-)
This is exactly why I'm here too :)

I'll make a test with a drop-down list property already, then we see how it behaves.

About the rest, there are two new things coming to FreeCAD, that, I think, will fulfill your wishes. One is the Material module, which is already started ( https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_m ... d/Material ). The idea is to give all freecad objects a material property, which would define not only trivial things like aspect, but real-world properties. I encourage you to add to http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Material (and, why not, add some materials to the module already!)

The second thing, which will actually be used in the materials property, is a key/value (dictionary) property. This will allow FreeCAD objects to gain unlimited amount of custom properties, which will become highly valuable when exporting to IFC, since that format allows you to define hundreds of attributes...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

:D :D :D

It seams I can't avoid compiling FreeCAD myself anymore. Hopefully I'm gone find some spare time at the weekend.

Bernd
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Which OS are you using?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Debian Wheezy