[possible bug?] placement of part design clone

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

[possible bug?] placement of part design clone

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have a issue with part design clone placement

The issue is that when i create a body add a object to it. and i start to move this body arround from the origin position. After this moving i create a clone of the body the new body have a position of [0,0,0] but is actually on the same location as the original.

So all placements are related to the position from where it is copied from. So the planes and axis of the clone are at the orgin but the shape inside the body is at position at moment of cloning.
I would request when create a clone of a body that it's placement is also copied. so the position of the shape inside the body origin is exactly the the same as the original body origin. and the placement values are exactly the same as the original

see attachment
Attachments
clone_partdesign_bug.FCStd
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: [possible bug?] placement of part design clone

Post by Jee-Bee »

If others agree i make a bug report on mantis
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm not at all against your proposal, but I'm not sure if this is the way to go to stay conformant to other corners of FreeCAD. That's how Clone or Part boolean operations work: A new object is created with a placement of (0,0,0). So movements of a clone are always relative to the source object. We always advocate here that non-PartDesign operations should just use the whole body and treat it like any other object. We would break that rule if we treat bodies specially.

While it is natural that boolean operations get a new placement - where should the result of a union of two displaced objects else be? - a clone is always performed on a single object, which has its own placement. So your prposal could be extended to all objects, but must not break existing models.

Here is my proposal: Add a new property to a Clone "TraceSupport" like we have for ShapeBinders which is false by default.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:26 am If others agree i make a bug report on mantis
Whatever the outcome of this discussion will be, I think the current behaviour may be cumbersome, but it is not a bug.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Oke in general i understand your point.

Part is a different type of design philosophy as partdesign that is.
In part every boolean operation/ clone a is related to the main coordinate system. that would be logical since there is only one single coordinate system. so a clone have again a relation to the main coordinate system.
While with part design everything is related to it's local coordinate system. so i would expect the clone of the local is also related to the local of it's clone...

So a clone of shape should be related to it's body / part
a clone of a body should me related to part / main. The object within the body schould be related to the local coordinate system of the body(don't change)
If i lose the coordinate transformation from model to clone i think it isn't a clone anymore.

ps. In my head it would be anoying that i don't know where a object would be after a boolean operation because than i lose my tracebility (where is the object in my modelling space). Within that i consider this as a bug(!!) even if it don't break the program or model.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Perhaps there could be times when the user wants the current behavior.

One solution for you is to temporarily move the body back to the origin, then make the clone, then move it back to where it was. DynamicData workbench can help with this. You can create a copy of the original body's placement, then use that placement copy to put the original body back in that location after making the clone.

phpBB [video]

The parametric copy option would create links using the expression engine to each of the placement's subproperties, e.g. angle, x, etc. Just press Esc to not make the parametric copy. The parametric copy could be useful where, for example, you want to clone to always be 10mm in the +z position compared to the original. Whenever you move the original the clone would follow. To get this behavior make the clone with the original at z = 10mm

phpBB [video]
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I'm unable to see your movies...

Thanks for the workaround. But as a workaround is .. I can do thinks on other way as it should be... :(

Thanks reacting on this topic it helps me to describe the issue better as here... ;)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Take some time but i created a bugreport (of feature request depends on viewpoint ;) )
issue #4084
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:36 pm Take some time but i created a bugreport (of feature request depends on viewpoint ;) )
issue #4084
The placement of the clone object is actually initially the same of the original body and it can be set to 0 or whatever else desired. The placement of the body containing the clone is 0 but that is something different. IMO then the desired feature is already existing and I vote to close this issue.
Opinions?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Not an actual issue. Maybe a FR to expose the Placement of the Clone feature by default and not just when ShowAll is activated could solve the problem with that behavior seeming strange at first.