FreeCAD Trails Workbench (Transportation and Geomatics)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
baswein

Re: FreeCAD Trails Workbench (Transportation and Geomatics)

Post by baswein »

I use open drone map for processing drone imagery. It spits out a geo tif DEM but will also export a .obj file. If you can get your program to export an .obj or similar you should be able to bring that into FreeCAD.
BrockN

Post by BrockN »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:18 am Welcome to forum :) if you send your file, I can take a look. Maybe I can do something for that.
Thanks very much - PM sent with link to files of interest.

Brock
BrockN

Post by BrockN »

baswein wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:20 pm I use open drone map for processing drone imagery. It spits out a geo tif DEM but will also export a .obj file. If you can get your program to export an .obj or similar you should be able to bring that into FreeCAD.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have any .obj files included in the deliverables received, but I'm going to go looking for Open Drone Map now... Much appreciated!
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I added a new panel for compute areas function. This new panel helps you when you try to create a new material calculation. You can select alignment, region, top and bottom section on gui.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/60583403
Attachments
Patreon post image.png
Patreon post image.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Yamai

Post by Yamai »

Hi everyone, I am a Freecad newbie so I apologize in advance for any awkwardness in my question. I am trying to create a land use concept design for my family ranch on a shoestring budget duo to our circumstances. I have created a 2d design with QGIS that includes some small earth dams. I would like to know if it is possible to calculate the cut & fill for these earth dams using Freecad and trails WB. If it is possible, I would really appreciate it if anyone can point me to an explanation or an educational resource that explains or hints on how one do this calculations using GIS data in Freecad (or some other free or affordable software). Thank you so much in advance, I truly appreciate your help.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

You can do it but you need to import your surfaces to Trails. I didn't use qgis before so I dont have any idea about how can you do this. After that you need an alignment. Than need create sections create a volume. If you can export your surfaces as point file format or LandXML format I can help.
Yamai

Post by Yamai »

Hi @HakanSeven12, thank you for your reply and explanation. I also want to note that I see the work you do here with Freecad and although I am not a freecad user at the moment I do think it's amazing - very much appreciated indeed.
I apologise but I am not sure what is a "point file format", so I assumed it might be a CSV file with the X and Y coordinates of the vector points I created in QGIS. So I tried to export that from QGIS and import it with Trails into Freecad, then I got this error in the viewer:

11:41:59 Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\yamai\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Trails\Trails\tasks\task_cluster_import.py", line 264, in accept
names, vectors, descriptions =self.file_reader(file, "Import")
File "C:\Users\yamai\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Trails\Trails\tasks\task_cluster_import.py", line 212, in file_reader
vector = FreeCAD.Vector(float(row[e]), float(row[n]), float(row[z]))
<class 'IndexError'>: list index out of range

Maybe if you can tell me what format a "point file" can be I can look into how to export it from QGIS?

After doing some internet research I am not sure that QGIS can export a LandXML format file, but I will continue looking into that.

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by Yamai on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balrobs

Post by balrobs »

Hi @HakanSeven12,
recently I did some tests for the enhanched Addon Manager by Chennes and came to try to install Trails WB.
Although the Addon Manager should now be able to detect and display all necessary dependencies, this was not the case with Trails.
The reason for this is a missing metadata.txt or requirements.txt file in the repo.
Maybe adding one or the other could help the new Addon Manager to better perform and could simplify the installation process and make Trails more popular.
Cheers!
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I've submitted a couple of PRs with metadata files in them, feel free to use those, or close the PRs and write your own (or just ignore :) ).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Merged ;) thanks