Sweet Home 3D integration/collaboration

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Sweet Home 3D integration/collaboration

Post by Kunda1 »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:53 am
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 pm New version of SH3D released v6.3 http://www.sweethome3d.com/blog/2020/04 ... d_6_3.html
is already august 2020, already exist any method to export-import for SH3D format?
Not sure. I haven't seen anything recently on the FreeCAD forum.
We've got a lot going on with FreeCAD currently that this is not such a priority. Although I do think it's important to have working connections between opensource projects.
Perhaps outside the commujnity, would you mind researching this? If you're passionate enough, perhaps take an initiative to bring this to realization ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:47 pm ... If you're passionate enough, perhaps take an initiative to bring this to realization ?
Yes, I want to help, tell me where can i start?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 pm Yes, I want to help, tell me where can i start?
Maybe studying https://github.com/lcgamboa/sh3dtoblender
and seeing how it can apply to FreeCAD ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:12 pm
jtm2020hyo wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:09 pm Yes, I want to help, tell me where can i start?
Maybe studying https://github.com/lcgamboa/sh3dtoblender
and seeing how it can apply to FreeCAD ?
well, my first report here:

inside your link, there is a video where the author shows us their py script to import since html5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwWan1R ... e=youtu.be

basically, what happens, is similar to export-import as OBJ format.

For doing sweet home 3d really useful we will need to implement IFC (he did not mentioned what version) to sweet home 3d, I already mentioned to the developers this in a post in the SH3D forum:

http://www.sweethome3d.com/support/foru ... read,10345

... here the level expert, Puybaret, mentions that he was working in an IFC format, but he was demotivated because none was requesting this feature, is actually frozen work,but basically was FreeCAD and Blender developer are trying to do is exactly what might happen with an import-export IFC option.

... why IFC and not other as DWG or OBJ or HTML5/XML? because if IFC is not used, then you will need to draw the entire file, again, again and again, importing-exporting between different programs, and what is the point if someone needs to draw again an imported file.

If someone import-export an IFC file, a Wall Object since an X-program is still a wall object in other y-programs.

FreeCAD, Blender and Sweet Home 3D, trying to import in another format that is not IFC, is generating an exactly same problem that happens in the past, before IFC, with Proprietaries Programs as Revit, AutoCAD, Robot Structural, Rhino, Etc, They all are awesome, but they use a proprietary format that other programs can not use it, this break completely the workflow increasing the cost and time of the operation. As mentioned, a workflow between programs does not exist, then no matter if is imported-exported a file, because will need to redraw again and again.

The workflow that all Blender, FC, and SH3D user needs is implement IFC in Sweet Home 3D, maybe doing more requests to the creators to finish their work or at least mark as a priority the IFC implementation.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Great follow up!
So IFC is the key here.
I wonder if also posting on the OSArch forum would be beneficial as well?
Lot of cross-pollination between different projects regarding BIM/IFC happening there.

Edit: link: https://community.osarch.org/
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:13 pm Great follow up!
So IFC is the key here.
I wonder if also posting on the OSArch forum would be beneficial as well?
Lot of cross-pollination between different projects regarding BIM/IFC happening there.

Edit: link: https://community.osarch.org/
https://community.osarch.org/discussion ... ory#latest

thanks for share that forum, I love it, I hope i am contributing.

I hope FreeCAD will integrate the BCF API server soon, I really want to see FreeCAD beat AutoCAD, Revit, and Naviswork, and become the backbone of building design.

...but I just have a question here; FreeCAD, Blender, and SH3D have lighting render, but they have for lighting analysis? I mean, similar to Dialux, if not, then, FreeCAD developers are planning to integrate a lightning analysis benchwork?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Please stay on the topic of SH3D. Open another thread for other subjects, please.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Many SH3D users are not professionals. Mainly they are normal people using a very easy tool to create interior design environments for their personal projects. In fact, in the past the developers mentioned SH3D as non CAD program. Therefore, it would be hard to get the import/export feature soon. I personally made requests about basic visualisation features and 8 years have passed without any progress.
Currenttly I am using SH3D a lot as concept design tool, and it would be cool to be able to export the model to FreeCAD for design development. But I don't think they will do something about it.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
jtm2020hyo

Post by jtm2020hyo »

bitacovir wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:34 pm I personally made requests about basic visualisation features and 8 years have passed without any progress...
If this is true, then I no hope with sh3d, IMHO their software can replace SketchUp and old dragonfly, and be a pre-project / pre-design software that always is present in every project just if they add an IFC format.

And this reality is the same reality for multiple open source software, if IFC is complicate then those software might add an option to export import as CSV or TXT file format, is the simplest way possible, that simple formats might be powerful with any plugin or script.

Every program try to be an all-in-one software for him self, for design or anything, but they always fail, this just was done for excel and autocad, revit being more powerful tried and failed.

Jesus christ, Why can not we all be friends?
Ferdolino

Post by Ferdolino »

Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I hope you can help me. I want to create furniture in FreeCAD and then use it in Sweet Home 3D. I have already done this with the Part Workbench and an export in OBJ format. The import into SH3D also worked well. The problem I still have is that the different parts in SH3D are not selectable, e.g. to give different colors or textures. So my question is what needs to be done in FreeCAD to make this possible.