Flamingo & Dodo workbench(s) discussion thread

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oddtopus

Re: Flamingo & Dodo workbench(s) discussion thread

Post by oddtopus »

paullee wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:14 pm Curiously, nothing to update even I force add-on manager to refresh. In fact, I just install the other day. :roll:
OK. The bug was that I accidentally deleted the line that adds the property "spin" to the structure of the frameBranch. :oops:

If you update now the workbench it should work as before.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks, it works as before now :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Hey Oddtopus, hows it going, there are 2 open tickets for your addons regarding their metadata and how they are displayed in the Addon Manager. Do you think you would have a moment to attend to this?

https://github.com/oddtopus/dodo/pull/14
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Peter_D

Post by Peter_D »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29865 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fb5c731847398c5bfbc37468ba851e70860a86d5
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Installed mods: 
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * dodo

Hello,
Hope this is the right place here.

I have tried different methods to create pipes (Arch, Part/sweep) and found in Dodo the only way to easily create branches of pipes. But I rejoiced too early, because it doesn't always work to create a simple unbranched pipe.
As you can see on the picture, the last elbow (left) is not processed correctly. This is surprising, because the elbows before it also have 90 degrees and were processed correctly. Unfortunately, the "fit one elbow" tool could not cure the problem.
The problem remains even if you use the "PypeLine manager" instead of "Insert a branch".

Can a friendly person give details of the solution?

Best regards
Peter

Code: Select all

13:44:19  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 587, in onChanged
    self.redraw(fp)
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 657, in redraw
    c=pCmd.makeElbow([fp.PSize,float(fp.OD),float(fp.thk),alfa,R])
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pCmd.py", line 212, in makeElbow
    pFeatures.Elbow(a,*propList)
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 126, in __init__
    self.execute(obj)
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 151, in execute
    sol=Part.Solid(Part.Shell([b,p1,p2]))
<class 'Part.OCCError'>: Shape is not a shell
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 605, in execute
    self.redraw(fp)
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 657, in redraw
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 126, in __init__
    self.execute(obj)
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 151, in execute
13:44:19  Recompute failed! Please check report view.
  File "/home/user/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/dodo/pFeatures.py", line 605, in execute
    self.redraw(fp)
    self.execute(obj)
13:44:19  Recompute failed! Please check report view.
Attachments
ellbow.png
ellbow.png (188.02 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Unbekannt2.FCStd
(95.71 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Peter_D

Post by Peter_D »

I have no explanation, but with this more complicated example, a defect-free pipe system could be realized. One wire was joined with one line.
Two elbows had to be repaired with "fit one elbow", which succeeded after marking the elbow and the two adjacent pipes.
Please note that the above defective elbow is included in the present example - on the right side. It was made correctly at the first attempt.

It seems that Dodo does not always work reproducibly, but hopefully more and more often, because it is a very nice workbench!
Attachments
test_verzweigte_röhren.FCStd
(72.09 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Test_verzweigte_Röhren.png
Test_verzweigte_Röhren.png (318.87 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
swizzlakalongie

Post by swizzlakalongie »

Hi,

I'm trying to use Dodo for a project but running into some snags. Is there a proper way to make framed structures with miter joints ( non right-angled welded joints). The trim/extend feature in dodo only seems to work for 90 degree joints. If the feature doesn't exist yet in the workbench, do you have any tips? The screenshot below was done using a swept profile in the part workbench.

thanks
Screenshot from 2022-09-09 11-10-41.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-09 11-10-41.png (12.43 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
swizzlakalongie

Post by swizzlakalongie »

I'm not a python programmer, but i figure an algorithm like this can work if you put a "miter segments" button in the frame branch manager:
  • Bisect the angle between the two selected beams
  • symmetric extrude that line perpendicular to the plane of the beams to make a ruled surface
  • Duplicate the ruled surface and then trim each beam with one of them
I was tying to see how I can get that done by recording a macro but dodo wasn't outputting anything I could use to the python console.
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

Since an hour I play around with Dodo version 1.0.0
Is there a stable version of this Workbench. I struggle a lot with the weird Frame Branch Manager and Insert section. It seems that add and modify was somehow merged strangely and if you clicked something wrong the undo not work in all cases and the abort sometimes work and sometimes only half.
I'm not able to memorize the correct workflow for a straight forward work. So I would prefer a stable Workbench.

The Addon Manager gives me a huge Warning because of Python 2. If I select Flamingo. Could I Ignore that?
Currently, I use this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/embed/7AYOSkSe8AI
Is there a tutorial for Flamingo also?
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

The concept here seems similar to SolildSteel. But I think their dialog is way more intuitive -> https://youtu.be/IYm414ZjrbM?feature=shared&t=38

I propose to redesign them or find a way that the workflow inside the task bar is more intuitive.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

@oddtopus Are you still maintaining the Dodo workbench as there seems to be very little activity for 2 years, if so, could you please have a run through https://github.com/oddtopus/dodo/pull/22 it's quite important for future supported versions of FreeCAD.

If you're no longer interested in maintaining Dodo Wb, please advise if you are OK with someone else taking it over, not necessarily me as I don't know much about it to be honest.