Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by shaise »

rynn wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:01 pm I assume the problem is a circular dependency between the modules screw_maker and FastenerBase.
I have solved the cyclic import issue (nicely - without hacking...) this should solve problems of loading files before loading the WB.
kemes wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:22 am 1) create a part with a hole in it (you can find my version attached)
2) select the edge of the hole in the center
3) click the nut icon on the tool bar
4) error occurs
I still can not reproduce this issue, even with your example. Please update your fastener workbench (do the update even if it says you have the latest version - I'm still fixing some issues before updating the version) and let me know.
kemes

Post by kemes »

shaise wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:00 pm I still can not reproduce this issue, even with your example. Please update your fastener workbench (do the update even if it says you have the latest version - I'm still fixing some issues before updating the version) and let me know.
Eventhough the latest version was already installed I did an uninstall and a fresh installation of the workbench. Restarted FC and after this everything worked again :roll:
FCuser2019

Post by FCuser2019 »

Hello, I use expressions a lot in my models, which is why I am asking if it is possible to read the actual height of washers and nuts to use these values in expressions. Consider the following example assembly:
Assem.png
Assem.png (28.72 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

to make it I used a measuring tool to obtain the values of the washer and nut heights so that I could set up the following expressions:

Nut_placement.png
Nut_placement.png (62.67 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

LockNut_placement.png
LockNut_placement.png (63.42 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

the assembly is parametric with respect to Pad.Length and Pad001.Length but not with respect to changing the bolt size, e.g. if you change the size from M6 to M4 you obviously get this result:

M6_to_M4.png
M6_to_M4.png (28.75 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

I then had to use the measuring tool again to obtain the new values for the washer and nut heights to be set manually in the expressions for Z.
If it were possible to use expressions such as:

Z= Pad.Length + Pad001.Length + Washer.height
Z= Pad.Length + Pad001.Length + Washer.height + Nut.height

if the parameters Washer.height and Nut.height were automatically updated (it is sufficient that they are read-only parameters), you would have two convenient advantages:
1) it would never be necessary to use a measuring tool to obtain actual values for washer and nut heights;
2) by changing the bolt size, the assembly would automatically adapt.

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30492 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b4578fb3eae842eb510a1bc055d07d369a67ce94
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Installed mods: 
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.10.5
  * DynamicData 2.32.0
  * Manipulator
  * Assembly4 0.12.4
  * fasteners 0.4.15
Attachments
LockNut.FCStd
(44.27 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

Shaise, thanks a lot for the continued development of the Fasteners workbench.

I know they're not your usual nuts, bolts or washers, but there are two DINs that I use a lot that I would love to see added:
  • DIN 471: Circlips (retaining rings) for shafts; Normal type and heavy type
  • DIN 472: Circlips (retaining rings) for internal grooves; Normal type and heavy type
I found these two wikipedia pages where they give you the dimensions, but I'm sure there are many other places online where you can find the information:
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_471
https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_472
shaise

Post by shaise »

ToniTen wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:50 pm I know they're not your usual nuts, bolts or washers, but there are two DINs that I use a lot that I would love to see added:
  • DIN 471: Circlips (retaining rings) for shafts; Normal type and heavy type
  • DIN 472: Circlips (retaining rings) for internal grooves; Normal type and heavy type
please add an issue with enhancement tag here: https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB/issues
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is an issue with e.g. 4028 Hexagon sockets, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72578.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

shaise wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:05 am please add an issue with enhancement tag here: https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB/issues
Added. I don't see how I can add tags to issues in your github though
shaise

Post by shaise »

ToniTen wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:36 am Added. I don't see how I can add tags to issues in your github though
Thats ok. added.
alex_55

Post by alex_55 »

I've made a branch that adds support for 3 of the most common types of retaining rings.
anyone who wants to test this functionality can check out the pull request:
https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB/pull/222
Thanks!
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

alex_55 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:45 am I've made a branch that adds support for 3 of the most common types of retaining rings.
anyone who wants to test this functionality can check out the pull request:
https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB/pull/222
Thanks!
Thanks a lot, from my initial testing, that's exactly what I need.

Another issue I have is that when you've got multiple fasteners with the same dimensions but different types, it's hard to see what the type for each screw is. Sure, the icon is slightly different (but still, it's a very small icon and they're very similar) and sure, I could select them and check under Properties, but what if I have many many fasteners of the same basic size, and different type?
issue-with-fasteners.png
issue-with-fasteners.png (21.17 KiB) Viewed 2051 times
Those 5 screws are of different types

One solution would be to add the type to the label instead of, or next to, the word "screw"