dimensioning diameters on flat lines

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bleber

Re: dimensioning diameters on flat lines

Post by bleber »

I like the idea of construction circle, but it has to be made automatically to support the radius or diameter constraint.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

let's not get carried away and start asking for a ton of unnecessary automated stuff, first because the more you stretch your request the more unlikely it is to get implemented, second because it's unnecessary, basically we just want a distance constraint that internally applies a 0.5 factor to the input and is displayed in 3d view spanning the input length.
bleber

Post by bleber »

I test the auxiliary circles and not working. Lot unnecessary circles and messed sketch.
A simple lineal constraint with some símbol to represent radius or diameter works better.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

user1234 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:18 pm I think that deserves a feature request.
I allowed myself to create a feature request for this so that it won't be forgotten: issue #7334.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:03 pm let's not get carried away and start asking for a ton of unnecessary automated stuff
+1
I am a friend of clear sketches without any unnecessary clutter. I would rather not use such a tool at all if it adds another construction geometric element. If I think t would be useful, I would add it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
grd

Post by grd »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:32 am
adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:03 pm let's not get carried away and start asking for a ton of unnecessary automated stuff
+1
I am a friend of clear sketches without any unnecessary clutter. I would rather not use such a tool at all if it adds another construction geometric element. If I think t would be useful, I would add it.
+1 if you want to live in the stone age.
About Nim. Latest Release 2.0.2. Here is Nim in 100 seconds and a Nim package. There are Qt and OCCT packages.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

grd wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am +1 if you want to live in the stone age.
Please refrain from childish comments just because an opinion doesn't please you :roll: . I like the idea of dimensioning distances in the way proposed here, but I don't like any additional clutter.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

+1

Don't get me wrong. In most cases I neither need half dimensions nor construction circles in a sketch and so don't need another feature like this at all.
And if I should want to use a construction circle it is quickly created manually, there is definitely no need for automated creation.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

NewJoker wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:12 pm In SW it works in such a way that the smart dimension tool changes to diameter when a user creates a dimension between a line and a centerline (SW has a separate type of construction lines for that, quite useful as well) and drags the dimension label to the other side of the centerline:
+1
This feature was intrduced in SW 2005 IIRC. Such feature had two aims:
1: get clear and realistic dimensioning in sketches
2: be able to import realistic diameter dimensions directely from sketches to drawings (= reliable dimensioning). Formerly it was not possible, the user had to add such dimensions in relevant drawing views (less reliable, like in Techdraw ATM).

Such doubled dimensions would be very convenient in sketcher WB.

IMHO a way to do that could be to add 2 check boxes in the dimension widget. Beside "mark as reference" checkbox?
2 new checkboxes could be: Double to the [X] left [X] right
If you check "left" then the dimension would be doubled with left extension line as symetric line, otherwise the right extension line would be used. Hence no need for x or y plane as absolue reference.
FC users, what's your opinion about such workflow?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the direction to extend towards could be determined by the selection order or by making this only available when measuring from a line to a point, where the line is considered as the axis. But there's nothing wrong with a switch in the GUI, left and right are probably not good terms for it though, probably better to have just a "reversed" checkbox.