Feature request: Remove Part->RefineShape from the GUI

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Feature request: Remove Part->RefineShape from the GUI

Post by wmayer »

git commit 787f5184e

There is no technical reason to keep the non-parametric refinement -- not even for backward compatibility.

The above change implements now a (by default) parametric refinement and in case someone really needs the old non-parametric version then he can change the parameter value "User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Part/ParametricRefine" and set it to false.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wmayer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm git commit 787f5184e

There is no technical reason to keep the non-parametric refinement -- not even for backward compatibility.

The above change implements now a (by default) parametric refinement and in case someone really needs the old non-parametric version then he can change the parameter value "User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Part/ParametricRefine" and set it to false.
Hi @wmayer
thanks for going into this, but I just consider this option quite difficult to reach... One has to change the preferences each time he/she needs to use a refine or a parametric refine.
I agree that normally parametric refine should be used, but when using dumb models as STEP, it is useful to have the dumb refine.
I know I can use parametric refine and then use simple copy, but this is not very handy.
Anyway, this was my 2 cents, as a user quite involved on STEP interoperability, instead of primary modelling parametric models.
Consider that I already had inserted both refines modes on my Defeaturing WB... eventually, if needed, I will update my WB to follow this behavior.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I agree that normally parametric refine should be used, but when using dumb models as STEP, it is useful to have the dumb refine.
Is it? The Refine feature only has one additional property which in terms of memory usage can be negligible. So, what's the disadvantage of the parametric version here?

If there is a real need that people need to switch between parametric and non-parametric version quite often then it's easier to implement a task panel where they can choose the behaviour.

In our bug tracker we have a long-standing issue issue #0000402 which can be handy in this case.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

An what about exporting?
If STEP exporting would be the same for an object Parametric refined and an object NOT Parametric refined, then this will not be an issue at all.
I'm not inside the code, so I cannot answer myself.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 pm An what about exporting?
If STEP exporting would be the same for an object Parametric refined and an object NOT Parametric refined, then this will not be an issue at all.
I'm not inside the code, so I cannot answer myself.
There is absolute no difference in behaviour when exporting a model as STEP, IGES or BREP.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wmayer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 pm There is absolute no difference in behaviour when exporting a model as STEP, IGES or BREP.
Ok, thanks a lot for this deep feedback.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Werner: Thanks!

easyw-fc: For the - I dare to say rare - cases where you need a non parametric refine you can always create simple copy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

wmayer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm git commit 787f5184e
Thanks Finally after years :D
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

wmayer wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 pm The above change implements now a (by default) parametric refinement and in case someone really needs the old non-parametric version then he can change the parameter value "User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/Part/ParametricRefine" and set it to false.
Parameter has been documented in Fine-tuning.
A (basic) precision has also been added in Part RefineShape so user hopefully find reason of the behavior change.
chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:01 pm easyw-fc: For the - I dare to say rare - cases wher you need a non parametric refine you can always create simple copy.
I don't like much this 2 step process. Wouldn't that be a good idea to add the Refine property to the simple copy (as in Fusion for example) ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks Werner for implementing and openBrain for documenting!
openBrain wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:16 am I don't like much this 2 step process. Wouldn't that be a good idea to add the Refine property to the simple copy (as in Fusion for example) ?
I would appreciate that, although you can have the same effect if you
- set refine to true before creating the simple copy
- create simple copy
- set refine to false in the original object in case ou don't want it there.

The refine will stay in the copy because it is not parametric anyway.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.