Procedure to make a topological error, testing code

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Procedure to make a topological error, testing code

Post by freedman »

I have found what I think to be a good way to test Part design in both standard FreeCAD and Assy3. My test (see pic) is: Draw a base plate (sketch000), then draw an octogon post (sketch001) and sketch attach it to the base . Then I start my macro; it has a timer that rotates sketch001 on it's axis in 5 degree increments. I watch the tree and the screen for errors.

In the pic I have added a paddle to the octogon and I intend to add many different features to the octogon faces. As it rotates I do a recompute, this will test for position/rotation and topological naming problems. The small tester1 window allows me to start and stop a timer for rotation incrementing.

The goal is to find incremental numbers that cause errors. I have already made a very complex post with lots of features and found that at a certain rotation ( like from 139 to 140) an error occurs. This can used to troubleshoot FeeCAD and I will run the same tests on Assy3. After I get enough data I will move the octogon off center an run all the tests again.
test post pic1.JPG
test post pic1.JPG (70.23 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Attachments
test_post_macro1.FCMacro
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 23 times