Freecad crashes when creating a sweep

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MikeM

Freecad crashes when creating a sweep

Post by MikeM »

I am trying to make a boat canopy in stainless steel tube, the difficulty I have is in bending it on the corners, so I bought some hinges for the corners. I want to 3D print a filler piece to join the two sides of the hinges at about 100 degrees. I figure a couple of itterations should leave me with a reasonably acurate part.

Now here is the problem. I have constructed the sides of the hinges at about the correct angle, but when I try to do a sweep to begin construction of the filler freecad crashes sometimes or refuses to give the sweep panel or throws an error (illegal storage access). After creating the two sides of the hinge I made a new part with a path which I linked to a couple of sketches for the end profiles, these sketches are created on the back of the hinges and the hinge back is imported to locate them accurately.

I may have made an error in construction, or found a bug. What did I do wrong and how can I correct this?

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.1021.26244 +5249 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: d307b5c936403e8dca3f24b5c1e64bd16c88b28d
Python version: 3.8.10
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.2
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
canopy.FCStd
(172.68 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
FreecadHinge.jpg
FreecadHinge.jpg (299.91 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Freecad crashes when creating a sweep

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
Please retry with current 0.21 master.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Sketch011 and 012 are invalids. I can't open them (in vanilla version 0.21.30922)
Attachments
Hinge_SHALM.FCStd
(45.29 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Capture d’écran 2022-11-11 113139.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-11-11 113139.jpg (58.73 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Many thanks for both your input,

chrisb: What do you mean by "Please retry with current 0.21 master"
I downloaded the latest Windows 64 version of link stage 3 from github a few days ago.

Shalmeneser: What do yoiu mean by invalids, what makes them invalid, how can I make them valid?
I created a sketch on the back of the hinge, selected the external geometry tool to bring the backface of the hinge into the sketch and then created a circle for the sweep
Located the center of the circle on the axis on the external geometry center point.
Then did the same on the other side of the hinge.
I then created a sketch with the hinges in side profile and anchored a curved line to the centre of the circles

I know there are many ways to perform actions in FreeCAD, was this a valid way?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MikeM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:19 am chrisb: What do you mean by "Please retry with current 0.21 master"
I downloaded the latest Windows 64 version of link stage 3 from github a few days ago.
Linkstage is derived from FreeCAD with many changes, and thus different possibilities to crash. You find the latest master here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... kly-builds
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Hello chrisb,

Thanks for the help. Am I correct, you seem to be saying use FreeCAD with the topological naming problem, rather than LinkStage3 as this may be a bug in the code of Linkstage3. I hadn't considered this possibility, I have a copy but will download the lastest version from your link.
Many thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MikeM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:50 pm Thanks for the help. Am I correct, you seem to be saying use FreeCAD with the topological naming problem, rather than LinkStage3 as this may be a bug in the code of Linkstage3.
The developers work usually on the master version. As there aren't too many developers, workload should be minimized for them. Therefore it is sensible that every bug is tested in the current development version.