Automatic contour recognition tool in Sketch workbench ?

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
-alex-
Veteran

Re: Automatic contour recognition tool in Sketch workbench ?

Post by -alex- »

Haavard wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:04 pm This is very useful in a future sketcher offset tool to "chain select" all edges you wish to offset.
+1
BTW such sketcher offset tool already exists as a macro coded by @edi :
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p460178

Generaly speaking, a chain select tool is very useful in CAD, that's obvious. The more versatil, the better.
Actually this tool already exists in FC:
Path_SelectLoop
That would be great just to make this tool works in sketcher mode.
I have no idea if it's a tought nut to crack or not.
Last edited by -alex- on Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfro

Post by mfro »

-alex- wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:11 pm Generaly speaking, a chain select tool is very useful in CAD, that's obvious. The more versatil, the better.
Frankly, I never missed a path selection tool in Sketch modeling. I wouldn't even know where to use it.

There could be one single application for path selection, however, that might make me change my mind: when hunting for double elements when you once again get that dreaded "Wire not closed" message.

Double elements would enforce any path selection algorithm to stop as there are (at least) two choices to proceed. If the UI would be designed for the user to decide which way to continue, you'd have (if you had a "delete all but selected" or "invert selection" as well) a very fast method to clean up sketches.
Cheers,
Markus
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

mfro wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:32 pm
Frankly, I never missed a path selection tool in Sketch modeling. I wouldn't even know where to use it.
I use it almost everyday in my daily work since many years.
Such tool ease the selection of loops (1 clic + shortcut), moreover when other elements you want not to select are close to the said loop, or if the loop includes long and very short elements (need to zoom back and forth a lot to select each tiny elements of the loop, and you canot select by window because of other elements arround to exclude). You get it?
It saves you of carpal tunel syndrom, I bless such tool for that.
mfro

Post by mfro »

-alex- wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:47 pm
mfro wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:32 pm
I use it almost everyday in my daily work since many years.
I understand in general, but in the Sketcher? Once you have a chained selection, what are you going to do with the selected objects?
Cheers,
Markus
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

mfro wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:42 pm Once you have a chained selection, what are you going to do with the selected objects?
- offset
- change from solid to construction line and vice versa
- bleber's usecase (external loop sélection) https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 21#p616405
- move, rotate, symetry
- unknown usecases yet....