How to attach SubShapeBinders to a DatumPlane

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quiret

Re: How to attach SubShapeBinders to a DatumPlane

Post by quiret »

bruce wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:53 pm I tried this option and although it seemed to work the SubShapeBinder didn't match the origin of the source to the origin of the DatumPlane as shown below. Any idea how to get the origins to align?

Screenshot from 2022-06-23 12-49-28.png

Thank you for your help
I am able to get it to work, but I cannot give you a working FreeCAD file because of a save-file corruption issue that destroys the attachment reference for shape binders. But I hope that you can recreate the procedure that I am about to describe to you locally:

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.430.28641 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: a77045488092c24ece25d63c91f362cbd2181d36
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
1) open the FreeCAD document that you have attached to your post (please make sure you close it beforehand if you have it already open, remedy the save bug)

2)
Click onto the "pin_1_pocket_sk", drag it, hold CTRL on your keyboard and drop it onto "pin_5_sb". This will set the sketch as sole basis of selection for the SubShapeBinder.

3)
Disable the "Relative" property of the SubShapeBinder by setting it to false. This way all geometrical information that is taken from the sketch is in local transformation based on the sketch. For example, if the property is set to true then all matrix transformations up to the origin are included into each vertex, line, etc. We do not want that because we would be doubling the operations.

4)
Attach the SubShapeBinder onto the "pin_5_plane". You now get the same face that would be put into Pin 1, but aligned into Pin 5.

Hope this helps! I like the idea of reusing geometrical information like this and would love to see that FreeCAD fixes the attachment of shape binders.
bruce

Post by bruce »

@quiret
That did it. Thank you very much for pointing out the "Attach" function.

Do you know if using the "Part" toolbox "attachment" command will create any problems later given that I try to spend all of my life in the "Part Design" workbench?
quiret

Post by quiret »

bruce wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:50 pm @quiret
That did it. Thank you very much for pointing out the "Attach" function.

Do you know if using the "Part" toolbox "attachment" command will create any problems later given that I try to spend all of my life in the "Part Design" workbench?
From an ideal perspective, the FreeCAD workbenches are meant to be combined so using the Part WB "attachment command" should not cause any problems. Some tasks can only be achieved by combining both WBs so it is a good idea to use FreeCAD WBs to their full potential.

Dependencies between FreeCAD document objects are dangerous if they get out of hand. Be careful about what Support you choose for the attachment, which shapes you reference in the shape binders, etc. After all you have to understand the FreeCAD document weeks, months if not years from today. Too much complexity is not good.

But I have not seen great awareness of Part WB and Part Design WB combinations in this forums... Have not been around for long either. What I have shown you is a very advanced feature so be aware that you may hit scenarios which not many have experience with.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

while the attachment command comes from Part WB the attachment functionality is a built-in feature of all objects I believe so taht should not give you any issue.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from general Help forum as OP and answers may rely on Link branch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.