Toponaming branch git pull

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Toponaming branch git pull

Post by drmacro »

I did a git clone of the toponaming branch.

Builds fine.

But, when I do a git pull I get the following:

Code: Select all

hint: Pulling without specifying how to reconcile divergent branches is
hint: discouraged. You can squelch this message by running one of the following
hint: commands sometime before your next pull:
hint: 
hint:   git config pull.rebase false  # merge (the default strategy)
hint:   git config pull.rebase true   # rebase
hint:   git config pull.ff only       # fast-forward only
hint: 
hint: You can replace "git config" with "git config --global" to set a default
hint: preference for all repositories. You can also pass --rebase, --no-rebase,
hint: or --ff-only on the command line to override the configured default per
hint: invocation.
I know I've seen this before (with other pull's) but what is the appropriate thing to do?

(And if some kind person could explain that "git lingo" (i.e. rebase, ff, etc.) as if to a 5 year old, it would be appreciated. :oops: )
(I have the git pocket guide in my left hand...useless. As soon as I hit submit, I'm off to google. ;) )
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Toponaming branch git pull

Post by adrianinsaval »

It's about how git solves conflicts when your local copy doesn't match the remote (like when you made commits locally or when the remote was force pushed with modified history). Rebase tries to apply the differing commits from one branch sequentially on top of the other, this is an useful feature but might require solving conflicts so it's better to not mess with it if you don't know what you are doing.
ff stands for fast-forward, this is what is done when there's no conflict between your copy and the remote and pulling simply applies the new commits from the remote to your local copy, ff only is the safest option and what I would recommend if you don't have good git knowledge.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Toponaming branch git pull

Post by drmacro »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:01 pm It's about how git solves conflicts when your local copy doesn't match the remote (like when you made commits locally or when the remote was force pushed with modified history). Rebase tries to apply the differing commits from one branch sequentially on top of the other, this is an useful feature but might require solving conflicts so it's better to not mess with it if you don't know what you are doing.
ff stands for fast-forward, this is what is done when there's no conflict between your copy and the remote and pulling simply applies the new commits from the remote to your local copy, ff only is the safest option and what I would recommend if you don't have good git knowledge.
Thanks!
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."