Seems problem (pb!) with boolean fonctions integrated in PartDesign LinkBranch

Report observations made with the new Toponaming branch.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tanderson69
Veteran

Re: Seems problem (pb!) with boolean fonctions integrated in PartDesign LinkBranch

Post by tanderson69 »

realthunder wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:39 am Not that I know of. Maybe you can look into it? Because of the discovery here, I begin to notice that occt auto generated BSpline Curves/Surfaces are generally big, commonly exceeding thousands of control points, and sometimes with degree of one (i.e. all line segments). Not sure if it's always like that or just in recent versions.
I traced the problem to here. The loop iterates to max number of segments but never reaches a tolerance state to exit early. The math/theory is way over my head so I probably won't be able to fix it right. Was thinking about just hacking in a smaller number of max segments. Maybe running the fillet test grid and see a list of segment counts.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Seems problem (pb!) with boolean fonctions integrated in PartDesign LinkBranch

Post by adrianinsaval »

oh dear, is it normal for their code documentation to be in french? Anybody can create an issue in their tracker for this?
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:06 pm oh dear, is it normal for their code documentation to be in french? Anybody can create an issue in their tracker for this?
The french comments are the least of occt's problems. ;) Anybody with an account can create an issue in their tracker. I would be really surprised if they spent anytime with it. I think a rewrite of the fillets from scratch is what has been discussed. Maybe send a few million dollars their way to convince them to start. :D
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

is it even remotely feasible to crowdfund something like that?
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:23 pm is it even remotely feasible to crowdfund something like that?
IMHO: I don't think very many people grasp the complexity and scope of this kind of work and thus it would be very hard to convince people to give money. I think it would be better to crowdfund something more general like 'open source cad' or 'freecad' and that entity would allocate the funds to this sort of thing.