Fresh install Ubuntu 22.04 freecad-daily missing packages

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
edwilliams16
Veteran

Fresh install Ubuntu 22.04 freecad-daily missing packages

Post by edwilliams16 »

I installed freecad-daily PPA per the wiki.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 1bb9699c9a174acfdf3e854a953913b159f3e8ef
Python 3.10.4, Qt 5.15.3, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
]
It instructed me to install various packages:

Addon Manager Warning: Could not import QtWebEngineWidgets, it seems to be missing from your system. Please use your system's package manager to install the python3-pyside2.qtwebengine* and python3-pyside2.qtwebchannel packages, and if possible alert your package creator to the missing dependency. Display[code] of package README will be limited until this dependency is resolved.
connect failed: No such file or directory
As instructed:

sudo apt install python3-pyside2.qtnetwork
sudo apt install python3-pyside2.qtwebengine
sudo apt install python3-pyside2.qtwebchannel
sudo apt install connect-proxy
However I still get:

Addon Manager Warning: Could not import QtWebEngineWidgets, it seems to be missing from your system. Please use your system's package manager to install the python3-pyside2.qtwebengine* and python3-pyside2.qtwebchannel packages, and if possible alert your package creator to the missing dependency. Display of package README will be limited until this dependency is resolved.
vm4dim

Re: Fresh install Ubuntu 22.04 freecad-daily missing packages

Post by vm4dim »

It wanted:
python3-pyside2.qtwebenginewidgets
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

notice that it says python3-pyside2.qtwebengine* the asterisk meaning all packages that start with that in their name. besides that note that the ppa is currently unmaintained and ubuntu 22.04 has trouble with an outdated pivy and who knows what else so I would recoomend switching to some other packaging format, we have official appimages, snap and flatpak, although the flatpak beta is not updated often right now so appimage and snap are better choices for dev releases.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:40 pm notice that it says python3-pyside2.qtwebengine* the asterisk meaning all packages that start with that in their name.
I missed that. Installing them gets rid of those errors.

After installing git and python3-git

I just have one remaining error message:

I tried using the addon-manager - installing Lattice2 I got a message

Lattice2 failed to detect FC Version number: revision is zero / too low, minor version is unexpected.
Running it threw some exceptions.

So, yes there are some problems.
I also installed an appimage as an experiment. Unlike my Mac installation, it's just a monolithic file with no directory structure in which I can find the embedded python executable.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

The appimage is a compressed file and it is mounted in the filesystem when you run it, you can see the file structure by extracting it or by navigating to the temporarily mounted directory, for example I just launched the appimage and it was mounted to /tmp/.mount_FreeCAAkPdX4 you can get the mounted directory in FreeCAD's python console by running App.getHomePath()
Also you can run any executable from within the appimage from the terminal as described here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... -583720252

I think this is an issue with an outdated version of libspnav, it's a harmless warning though.

Lattice2 failed to detect FC Version number: revision is zero / too low, minor version is unexpected.
this one is weird and it could be a problem in lattice wb too, does it run without issues on the appimage? If yes then it is indeed another problem with ubuntu