Question: How to capture AppImage BuildRevision number if running from the CLI?

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

Question: How to capture AppImage BuildRevision number if running from the CLI?

Post by Kunda1 »

Trying to make a bash script that will query the AppImage for the BuildRevision and then pipe it onward

I've gotten as far as

Code: Select all

./FreeCAD_weekly-builds-28445-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage --get-config BuildRevision
But this triggers a modal dialog and outputs the result in to it. Not good if I want to bash pipe the result. So how can i circumvent the modal dialog and just have it output to the console?
Screenshot_20220328_180431.png
Screenshot_20220328_180431.png (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Question: How to capture AppImage BuildRevision number if running from the CLI?

Post by adrianinsaval »

Is there a way tu run freecadcmd instead of gui freecad from the appimage?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Question: How to capture AppImage BuildRevision number if running from the CLI?

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:18 pm Is there a way tu run freecadcmd instead of gui freecad from the appimage?
No idea...but aren't they comparable?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I was hoping freecadcmd wouldn't raise a dialog

edit: currently on a windows machine but yes, freecadcmd doesn't open a dialog, freecad --console opens the dialog anyways. Some other questions regarding console options: why not make freecad -v print the full freecad info? Could be easier to get like this. And speaking of full freecad info, what happened with the commit hash info? doesn't seem to be included anymore for some reason, and IMO that was relevant info.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

probably loading a script and execute from command line that will print version info is the less challenging way that is akready doable now without modification.

I have no Appimage installed now as I'm using a miniconda install, but the script would not be so difficult to make, it will be less than 10 lines of code, probably less than 5.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/