FreeCAD Versioning

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Versioning

Post by adrianinsaval »

got it, 0.19.4.2 it is then
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:26 pm It's simple, I would just need to write choco install freecad and be done, no need to go to the download page, get the installer and go through the installation process or search what flags i need to pass it to make a silent install. It's just some automation (I guess wrapper wasn't the correct term). The chocolatey "package" just has scripts and downloads the installer from github, there is no double zipping of the binary.
Thanks. However I still don't get the idea yet. OK, I have to download from Freecad.org, but well, this is not much work and I can be sure I get the installer package that suits me. Usually we offer executables but also ZIP and RAR files.
Then, since I don't trigger the install on my own, how can i then control the installer? I mean how does Chocolatey know if I want the installer for all users or only the current one, if I want to register some file extensions or not? To be able to do this, I still need to set parameters. But then I can take directly the installer.
So do I understand it correctly that a Chocolatey package just executes the Win installer with all its default settings?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:48 pm got it, 0.19.4.2 it is then
Can you please omit the last number. This is then indeed confusing. There is no such FreeCAD 0.19.4.x, just 0.19.4. You can number your package as you like, like I do with the Win installer executables. In there naming scheme I made clear that all of them install FreeCAD 0.19.4, the only difference is the installer.
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:15 am Can you please omit the last number. This is then indeed confusing. There is no such FreeCAD 0.19.4.x, just 0.19.4. You can number your package as you like, like I do with the Win installer executables. In there naming scheme I made clear that all of them install FreeCAD 0.19.4, the only difference is the installer.
I will make the following statement at the start of the Chocolatey FreeCAD Description.
This package installs the FreeCAD 0.19.4 version and should the version list a 4 segment version these are installer updates.

I hope that this will be acceptable for uwestoehr and adrianinsaval. This way the package can be updated and those that use Chocolatey will be informed to the reason for the versioning change from the FreeCAD website.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:13 am Thanks. However I still don't get the idea yet.
The purpose of automation is not to give granular control to each individual user, the idea is to be able to quickly install say 12 programs in 50 computers all with the same config. In my case I use it just for the convenience, I don't have 50 computers, but I had to run fresh installs of windows many times the past year, running a single command to install a list of 20 apps instead of going to each download page and manually running each is a big time saver, I don't mind if one or two options are not what I would have chosen. The installer runs with whatever parameters it is given in the script, this may or may not be the installer's default. But I think you can also pass whatever parameters you like to the installer.
uwestoehr wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:15 am Can you please omit the last number. This is then indeed confusing.
Yes it's a little confusing but he has explained that he can't change the installer but keep the same version number for the package, it has to have some difference, so the he's gonna use the installer number.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

redbaron2 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:28 am This package installs the FreeCAD 0.19.4 version and should the version list a 4 segment version these are installer updates.
I hope that this will be acceptable for uwestoehr
What about this?:
This package installs FreeCAD 0.19.4.
The package subversion determines the version of the installer provided by FreeCAD. So the package version 0.19.4.2 uses installer number 2 for FreeCAD 0.19.4.
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:42 am This package installs FreeCAD 0.19.4.
The package subversion determines the version of the installer provided by FreeCAD. So the package version 0.19.4.2 uses installer number 2 for FreeCAD 0.19.4.
I will use this ^ for the description.
Thanks for the assistance uwestoehr and adrianinsaval