[possible bug] macos app bundling

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
ipatch

[possible bug] macos app bundling

Post by ipatch »

i have been messing around with building freecad (git master) on macos for sometime now. i can successfully build the latest HEAD without any issues, but when i try to generate a macos app bunlde ie. a `FreeCAD.app` for my macos platform (macos mojave/10.14) i run into issues when the process (make install) begins to run the python2 script that assembles the relocatable bundle.

the first issue i ran into was the processing of the `homebrew-[PKG_NAME].pth` files within the the python `site-packages` directory.

those `.pth` files can contain standard UNIX filesystem paths, and also contain lines requiring "interpretation" by a python interpreter (i believe) for example,

i have the `sphinx-doc` and `sphinx` packages installed on my system using `brew install sphinx sphinx-doc` after installing that homebrew package it will place a `sphinxcontrib_htmlhelp-1.0.3-py3.9-nspkg.pth` within the below dir

Code: Select all

$(brew --prefix)/opt/sphinx-doc/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages/
the output of that file is,

import sys, types, os;has_mfs = sys.version_info > (3, 5);p = os.path.join(sys._getframe(1).f_locals['sitedir'], *('sphinxcontrib',));importlib = has_mfs and __import__('importlib.util');has_mfs and __import__('importlib.machinery');m = has_mfs and sys.modules.setdefault('sphinxcontrib', importlib.util.module_from_spec(importlib.machinery.PathFinder.find_spec('sphinxcontrib', [os.path.dirname(p)])));m = m or sys.modules.setdefault('sphinxcontrib', types.ModuleType('sphinxcontrib'));mp = (m or []) and m.__dict__.setdefault('__path__',[]);(p not in mp) and mp.append(p)
as can be seen, there is a lot more going on in that `.pth` file other than a standard `/some/path/to/a/python/library/on/filesystem`

so after running,

cmake \
[INSERT_CMAKE_ARGS] \
[ARGS_OMITTED_FOR_PREVITY] \
-DFREECAD_CREATE_MAC_APP=ON \
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle ../freecad-src
then running

make

make install
the following error will be reported to STDOUT

-- Installing: /opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/libexec/matplotlib/lib/python3.9/site-packages/dateutil/tz/win.py
CMake Error at src/MacAppBundle/cmake_install.cmake:74 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot find
  "/opt/code/github/public/forks/freecad-git/freecad-src/src/MacAppBundle/import
  site": No such file or directory.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/cmake_install.cmake:51 (include)
  cmake_install.cmake:68 (include)

make: *** [install] Error 1
i believe above mentioned error is related to this block of code

my current work around for above such issues when running `make install` and to use a standard UNIX style filesystem path, ie.

```
/usr/local/library/libexec/matplotlib/lib/python3.9/site-packages
```

and the `make install` process moves along further until another error is presented.

keep in mind this error only seems to happen when enabling the below cmake flag

-DFREECAD_CREATE_MAC_APP=ON
i'm still able to run and use freecad from a CLI and launch it using an automater action to simulate an app bundle experience on macos, but thought i'd share this issue here.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [possible bug] macos app bundling

Post by chrisb »

Looo is the Mac package expert, perhaps he can help.
looo wrote: pinged by pinger macro
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:41 am Looo is the Mac package expert, perhaps he can help.
looo wrote: pinged by pinger macro
sorry, I use only conda for packaging. I guess this is more related to brew. So maybe pinging:
vejmarie wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:29 pm
ipatch

Post by ipatch »

a little follow up about said issue.

the above mentioned cmake file for mac app bundling

```
echo "`freecad-src` dir is a git clone of the freecad source hosted on github"
freecad-git/freecad-src/src/MacAppBundle/CMakeLists.txt
```

will generate the below file with the following lines

```
freecad-git/build.master/src/MacAppBundle/cmake_install.cmake
```

that file, will contain the following code,

if("x${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}x" STREQUAL "xUnspecifiedx" OR NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT)
  list(APPEND CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES
   "/opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/libexec/pybind11/lib/python3.9/site-packages")
  if(CMAKE_WARN_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(WARNING "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION : ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
  if(CMAKE_ERROR_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION forbidden (by caller): ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
file(INSTALL DESTINATION "/opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/libexec/pybind11/lib/python3.9" TYPE DIRECTORY FILES "/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages")
endif()

which will properly find the python library of pybind11 and add to the `FreeCAD.app` bundle. and that is because i have modified the,

```
/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/lib/python3.9/site-packages/homebrew-pybind11.pth
```

with the following line,

```
/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages
```

---

NOW, the original file `homebrew-pybind11.pth` from the homebrew installation contains

```
import site; site.addsitedir('/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages')
```

so with that file changed with above such line in it, it will produce a `cmake_install.cmake` with the below code block in it

if("x${CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT}x" STREQUAL "xUnspecifiedx" OR NOT CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT)
  list(APPEND CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES
   "/opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/libexec/import site site.addsitedir('/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages')/lib/python3.9')/import site;/opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/libexec/import site site.addsitedir('/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages')/lib/python3.9')/site-packages')")
  if(CMAKE_WARN_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(WARNING "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION : ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
  if(CMAKE_ERROR_ON_ABSOLUTE_INSTALL_DESTINATION)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "ABSOLUTE path INSTALL DESTINATION forbidden (by caller): ${CMAKE_ABSOLUTE_DESTINATION_FILES}")
  endif()
file(INSTALL DESTINATION "/opt/beta/freecad.apl.bundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/libexec/import site site.addsitedir('/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages')/lib/python3.9')" TYPE DIRECTORY FILES
    "/opt/code/github/public/forks/freecad-git/freecad-src/src/MacAppBundle/import site"
    "/opt/code/github/public/forks/freecad-git/freecad-src/src/MacAppBundle/ site.addsitedir('/usr/local/Cellar/pybind11/2.6.2/libexec/lib/python3.9/site-packages')"
    )
endif()
when i run the `make install` task "cmake" or whatever is running underneath (using that term loosely here) errors out due to the fact that is unable to process the paths contained within the `cmake_install.cmake` generated file from the,

```
freecad-git/freecad-src/src/MacAppBundle/CMakeLists.txt
```

i hope that is perfectly clear here. i wish i knew more about cmake, and how to inspect and print variables in realtime ala a cmake style debugger as opposed to littering the cmake file print statements, but nonetheless i'll leave this here (for future me) and for anybody who interested mac app bundling.