FreeCAD submitted to Fedora (via RPM Fusion)

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
hobbes1069

FreeCAD submitted to Fedora (via RPM Fusion)

Post by hobbes1069 »

Just a little annoucement here.

I finally got all the requirements into Fedora so I was now able to submit a review request[1] for FreeCAD itself.

The end plan is to move it to Fedora proper once OCC/OCE becomes FOSS, but for now it will live in the RPM Fusion non-free repository.

Thanks,
Richard
NormandC
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD submitted to Fedora (via RPM Fusion)

Post by NormandC »

That would be great news. :)

As for OCC adopting a truly FOSS license, I think it will take a long while. These people move very slowly...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

that's good news, Richard.

Is this a fixed version of FreeCAD or is this compiled daily like the Ubuntu PPA?

Also we had a fellow on Opensuse the other day, I wonder if they could use the same or similar rpm, or package there own version? I assume that Opensuse and Fedora both still use rpm packages.

Jim
djreichel

Post by djreichel »

jmaustpc wrote:that's good news, Richard.
Is this a fixed version of FreeCAD or is this compiled daily like the Ubuntu PPA?
Jim
It uses the stable release:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/free-ca ... z/download
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Excellent news Richard! Thanks a lot for all the hard work!
hobbes1069

Post by hobbes1069 »

A quick update here... FreeCAD has been accepted and built so now it's just a wait game for the packages to hit the testing repositories and eventually find their way to stable.

I'll post back here again when they're in the stable repos.

Richard
butchwax

Post by butchwax »

Great kudos to Richard! I watched much of the process of Richard's work getting the FreeCAD + dependent RPMs through Fedora and RPMFusion official packaging procedures in very quick time. He was also very generous with his time and encouragement for me as he led me through the Fedora packing process for my first time with another package.

He spent tremendous effort to create a high-quality package. To compare, the older RPM I distributed at Zultron was a horrible hack make the automake build system do something that looked acceptable without scrutiny, but it was really a giant ugly band-aid. Richard fixed the eyesore the right way, by fixing the cmake configuration *nix in FreeCAD, and writing a new RPM specfile from scratch with no band-aids.

In a few days, when the package becomes available on RPMFusion, we Fedora 16 and 17 users with the RPMFusion repos enabled can simply type 'yum install freecad' and be up and running in moments!

BTW, Richard has already started work on EL6 as well. Simply tireless.

John
--
John Morris
http://www.zultron.com
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow, congratulations Richard! Excellent news! I also saw that you've been working hard on this, big thanks and kudos!
hobbes1069

Post by hobbes1069 »

I'm still waiting for it to hit the stable repositories but it shouldn't take too long.

I'm taking a little break but I'd like to start working towards packaging future 0.13. What I mean by that is to go through all of my 10 patches that I currently have and see which ones (or parts) are acceptable upstream so I don't have to maintain so many :) I know a few have already been accepted but I need to go through each one and compare it to current SVN (or git. I just noticed the switch over).

On a side note, with more distros picking up freecad, what's the plan for released version maintenance? Are there fixes for problems for 0.12 that I should be patching for?

I know that any time spent backporting updates from master to a released version takes away from development but as freecad gets a bigger user base it becomes an expectation.

MythTV (which I also maintain the package for) handles this by creating a "fixes" branch (in this case something like "fixes/0.12") after every release so major fixes are backported (usually not new features unless it's part of a fix) and then I just generate a git diff from the released tarball.

Thanks!
Richard