Post by paullee »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:17 pm Edit: pinned
Thanks
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: 重要:寻求帮助之前,请先看看这里

Post by jmaustpc »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:17 pm
paullee wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:51 pm Can forum administrators help pin this post, a Chinese Translation of "IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help".

Even better, add a similar red banner and link to this?
I can pin it but I don't have permissions to add the banner. But I bet @jmaustpc could ;)
jmaustpc wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Edit: pinned
Hi guys, yes I can do this and I know how, will do asap.

One thing first though, could you Paullee (or one of you others) please create a new topic, give it the correct title and only include the appropriate "forum rules" posts, I don't understand Chinese so it is better if one of you do it. Also via Google translate, I noticed that you guys were talking about two different Chinese (simplified and traditional). I have no idea if both are needed or if that just adds duplication/confusion. I will leave that decision to you guys since I know nothing about the difference.

Once you guys have made that new topic, please PM me a link to it or add a new single post at the end and do a "ping" to me like Kunda did. If you do the latter, then I will delete that last post before I lock the topic and set it to the Forum Rules link.

Another thing I need is you guys to give me one only translation of the following, in pieces as I have to insert what you give me in the right place between some URLs and code tags etc. I will be blindly copy paste whatever you tell me to for each of these four quoted sections of text.
Forum Rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help
Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD
code of conduct!
This is a screen shot of the English version above the Help forum ...
Screenshot_20210202_225955.png
Screenshot_20210202_225955.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
Complication 1) see the first line top left, "Forum Rules", that is automatically entered text that PHPBB puts there, I can not stop it doing so, that will always be there even in the non-English forums. There is nothing I can do about that. For example, you can see it here in this screen shot of the German forum.
Screenshot_20210202_230439.png
Screenshot_20210202_230439.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 3177 times
So for this next piece of text below, I can enter anything, so whatever you replace it with is up to you, if you want it to be the same as English then please include the "Forum Rules" translation to that one sentence so that it says in one quote "Forum Rules and Helpful information".
I am talking about this text in this next quote
and Helpful information
Complication 2) The last two quotes of text are related to the code of conduct which we have on a Github page. The first is just text, the second text I have to insert into the URL tag it is the text that shows as the URL, that is why I need the translation in two pieces. These next two quotes are the text I am talking about here related to the code of conduct.
code of conduct!
So you guys will have to decide if you want to simply omit the "code of conduct" section like the German forum, see above screen shot. Or just add some texting saying something like "be nice to one another" or third option, just link to the English code of conduct, or fourth option make a Chinese copy of that code of conduct and I will link to that. We can always edit this later if you want it changed, you need admin permissions for that mean Kurt, Werner, Yorik or myself.

Sorry for all this English, but since some of you are bi-lingual and I doubt Google translate would produce a reasonable result. so I think it's best for me to just leave this English here for this topic now.

Regards
Jim

P.s. Kurt I imagine you know where this is, but if you don't or for future reference, it's in the ACP Forums tab, Manage Forums, select correct forum, click on edit settings, then scroll to the bottom of the page that then comes up. :) Jim
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:28 pm Another thing I need is you guys to give me one only translation of the following, in pieces as I have to insert what you give me in the right place between some URLs and code tags etc. I will be blindly copy paste whatever you tell me to for each of these four quoted sections of text.
Thanks Jim ! There is lots of information to provide and I am trying to read and do it in several replies probably :)

First, needs to thank @Johnquicker who in fact had done the translation right in the begining of this thread - the first 8 posts, 24/8 to 26/8/2018 :)
(First 4 in Simplified Chinese characters, and next 4 in Traditional Chinese characters)

1st complication is there are Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese...

For the translation and links -
重要:寻求帮助之前,请先看看这里 (Simplified Chinese)
重要:尋求幫助之前,請先看看這裡 (/Traditional Chinese)
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help
论坛规矩 / 論壇規矩
Forum Rules
有用的资讯 / 有用的資訊
and Helpful information
另外,对论坛用户 友善! 阅读FreeCAD行为准则!
/ 另外,對論壇用戶 友善! 閱讀FreeCAD行為準則!
code of conduct!

@Johnquicker and other Chinese members please have a look if any improvement to translation required?
@Johnquicker 及 其它中文網友,請看一下中文翻譯有改善的地方嗎?
(隨機 ping 了一些中文網友 :) )
Johnquicker wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:55 pm Ping
johnwang wrote: PIng
felixlee868 wrote: Ping
wrg123 wrote: Ping
TobyGu wrote: Ping
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

look at the German forum, I don't think we need the banner. This post itself is "IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help". it is pinned, that's good enough.

If it could be moved into the Announcement section after RE: IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help, like the German forum, Would be better. Just the rules, no normal user reply.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

paullee wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 pm Thanks Jim ! There is lots of information to provide and I am trying to read and do it in several replies probably :)

First, needs to thank @Johnquicker who in fact had done the translation right in the begining of this thread - the first 8 posts, 24/8 to 26/8/2018 :)
(First 4 in Simplified Chinese characters, and next 4 in Traditional Chinese characters)

1st complication is there are Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese...
PHPBB configuration control panel etc. is complex enough but you should see how complicated this is when you can't understand the language, the characters of that language and then there are two which are similar bu different! :lol: I have a headache now! :D

I think I have it correct now, I know I got the posts mixed but found and fix it...I think. It didn't help that I got interrupted in the middle when a water deliver tuck arrived (topping up my house water tanks, it's fire season so I don't let the house tanks get too empty waiting for rain in case we get a bush fire) and then my Internet connection dropped out twice, the ISP is doing some upgrades in my area so there are short interruptions ...grrr.

So what I did, first I twice duplicated the topic that had the first 8 posts, 4 simplified and the 4 traditional. Then I deleted all by the relevant 4 from each duplication and edited their titles so that the traditional topic title should be on the traditional topic/posts. Then I locked those two duplicated topics. Any Moderator can unlock them for editing and any moderator can edit other peoples posts so in the English equivalent you will see that both Norm and I have over time edited Norm's first post as things change. So if any of you need to update the forum rules content at any time, then all you do is go to each of the topics and edit them, the link in the forum rules only links to those topics which are both locked and set to "sticky" so that they stay at the top.

Then I duplicated the URL in the Forum Rules banner and reconfigured them so that whichever version of Chinese you click on should take you to the topic/4 posts in that same version of Chinese, each has four posts so they say 3 "replies".

So please test and confirm that I got the combinations of simplified/traditional correct.

Once you have confirmed that I done this correctly, you could "unsticky" the original topic which contains numerous replies (or tell me if you don't know how and I will, if you like) then it will not be deleted but also no longer be locked at the top of the forum all the time.

One more issue, for now the "code of conduct" is linked to the English version, so it should look correct but if you click on it the URL should send you to the English version. I am perfectly happy to edit the URL to point to the Chinese translation/s, when you are happy with one. We could have two like the forum rules if you guys want that. The English version is on GitHub, but I think it is fine to make them a topic (or two topics) on this forum if you prefer. Either way just tell me the actual URL or the topics that you want and I will edit the above so that the code of conduct points to the correct language versions.

Jim
Screenshot_20210204_145116.png
Screenshot_20210204_145116.png (141.02 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

johnwang wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:08 am look at the German forum, I don't think we need the banner. This post itself is "IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help". it is pinned, that's good enough.

If it could be moved into the Announcement section after RE: IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help, like the German forum, Would be better. Just the rules, no normal user reply.
The "Forum Rules" banner system is a part of PBPBB which is the program we use to run these forums. The actual text "Forum Rules" can not be edited in the control panel of PHPBB, to edit that short bit of text one would need to edit the PHPBB source code and/or it's configuration files directly on the server. That is why that small bit of text is still shown in the non-English forums.

All topics can be set by a moderator to standard/sticky/announcement/Global announcement and of course topics and/or single posts within a topic, can be set to "locked or unlocked". Announcement puts the topic in the announcement box at the top of a forum, Global Announcement does the same thing but in all forums, "Sticky" just lists the topic at the top of the normal topics in the "topics" box.

The German forum has the post link to in the Forum Rules banner system set to announcement, so they have both what you have selected and the Forum Rules system. Technically the topic being linked to in Forum Rules does not have to be stick or an announcement (or even locked) but it makes finding it easier for editing, I would be happy to change it so that it just gets listed like all standard topics. We lock the topics now because, believe it or not, many people were posting to it! :)

This is the German forum, the last topic in the topics box is a standard topic, the ones above in the topics box are sticky, and the topics in the Announcements box are 1 announcement and 2 Global announcements.
Screenshot_20210204_152338.png
Screenshot_20210204_152338.png (124.52 KiB) Viewed 3075 times
Jim
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 am So please test and confirm that I got the combinations of simplified/traditional correct.
Perfect :D
jmaustpc wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 am One more issue, for now the "code of conduct" is linked to the English version, so it should look correct but if you click on it the URL should send you to the English version. I am perfectly happy to edit the URL to point to the Chinese translation/s, when you are happy with one. We could have two like the forum rules if you guys want that. The English version is on GitHub, but I think it is fine to make them a topic (or two topics) on this forum if you prefer. Either way just tell me the actual URL or the topics that you want and I will edit the above so that the code of conduct points to the correct language versions.
See if someone can help with the translation.
有網友 可以翻譯 Code of Conduct 嗎?

For completeness, please help add the Traditional Chinese highlighted below -

And a comma ','
论坛规矩 / 論壇規矩 , 有用的资讯 / 有用的資訊

p.s.
Have to admit that the banner is not looking too good repeating messages in 2 types of Chinese characters :lol:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

paullee wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm For completeness, please help add the Traditional Chinese highlighted below -

And a comma ','
论坛规矩 / 論壇規矩 , 有用的资讯 / 有用的資訊
Done! :)
paullee wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm p.s.
Have to admit that the banner is not looking too good repeating messages in 2 types of Chinese characters :lol:
It shows that we care by support both types. :)

Which one is the most commonly used? and also would most Chinese people realistically be able to read/understand both?
paullee wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm See if someone can help with the translation.
Let me know when it is done and I will update the URL. If doing the translation on GitHub is too difficult then it would be fine to create two new topics in the Chinese forum (one for simplified and another for traditional), once those are created lock the topic and tell me which one is which and I can link to those topics rather than GitHub, either way if fine with me.

Jim
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm Done! :)
That's quick, thanks :D

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm It shows that we care by support both types. :)

Which one is the most commonly used? and also would most Chinese people realistically be able to read/understand both?
Difficult to answer :lol:

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm
paullee wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm See if someone can help with the translation.
Let me know when it is done and I will update the URL. If doing the translation on GitHub is too difficult then it would be fine to create two new topics in the Chinese forum (one for simplified and another for traditional), once those are created lock the topic and tell me which one is which and I can link to those topics rather than GitHub, either way if fine with me.
Sure ! Hope somebody can help :)