Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lekes

Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Post by Lekes »

FreeCAD version 0.20.2 using Windows 10
Newbie here. Just downloaded today. At the final installation window, if I check the box "Launch FreeCAD", it starts without any issues. If I close program and try to start from the icon on my desktop, I see the mechanical image showing files are loading, then I get a big white screen with FreeCAD in upper left corner. After a short time a note appears next to it saying (Not Responding) and that's all...no further action even after waiting for 10 minutes.
I have confirmed by uninstalling a re-installing a few times. I am not very technical regarding command files, libraries, etc. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Starts from Install Finish but not from desktop icon

Post by adrianinsaval »

Can you try uninstalling and checking the option to remove all data, then reinstall but do not launch from the installer, this might be a permissions issue due to FreeCAD creating config and/or cache files as admin when launched the first time from the installer
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

I uninstalled. I did not see any option to "remove all data" but did see and checked the box to remove user preferences. During process a window opened noting that doing so would also delete installed FreeCAD addons. Do I agree with this? I clicked YES. Re-installed using all default when given an option. Did NOT launch from installer. Clicked on desktop icon and it opened! BUT, when I closed (I did not create anything...just closed FreeCAD) and tried again...I get the white screen and "not responding". I repeated this process but actually created a test part...just a cube and saved it. Closed (Exit from pull-down) FreeCAD. Tried to open again using the icon and I'm back at the white screen, not responding. Seems like whatever I do, the second time I try to open FreeCAD, it fails.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

very strange... can you run from cmd with the --write-log flag? Then upload the log file here, it should be created at %APPDATA%\FreeCAD\FreeCAD.log
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

Like I said in first post...I'm not very technical. You'll need to be more detailed. How do I get to cmd? Is that the text window in the lower left of my desktop? How do I run from cmd with the --write-log flag? And where would I find the file: %APPDATA%\FreeCAD\FreeCAD.log
Sorry...I just never got into the nitty-gritty of computers. I know how to run them...if there's no problems. Otherwise...I would call the IT Department.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I'll assume you installed in the default location, do this:
Open start menu and type cmd then hit enter, a cmd window should open
In the cmd window type:

Code: Select all

cd "c:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin"

and hit enter, then type

Code: Select all

freecad.exe --write-log
the freecad splashscreen should show up as before, wait until it dissapears and freecad crashes
Now open the file explorer and in the adress bar write %APPDATA%\FreeCAD and hit enter, it should open a folder where a file FreeCAD.log should be located, upload that file here.
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

Is this what you're looking for? (attached)
Attachments
FreeCAD.log
(11.95 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

Is this what you're looking for? (attached)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yes but I don't see anything wrong with it... strange, try running the conda dev version: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
Lekes

Post by Lekes »

I deleted the previous version and installed version 21 (image attached). I had the same results. Opened once from desktop icon (not from installer) and created a simple test block. Closed the program. I tried to reopen from desktop icon and I get the white screen and shortly after the note of "Not Responding". I uninstalled. Installed again but get the same results...2nd time opening it fails. :(
Attachments
FreeCAD image.jpg
FreeCAD image.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 784 times