Freecad not openinig any more , after installing addons

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
renatozor

Freecad not openinig any more , after installing addons

Post by renatozor »

Good morning ,

It's first time I use a forum to find help , so here is my bug...

I just re-re-installed Freecad 0.20 on win 11, and it open normally.
But , after install the addons (boltsfc , or fcgear) and restart
freeCAd can't find the path to my user directory and don't start.
(see picture added)

someone has a solution to avoid this problem ? or , has the same bug ?

Thanks in advance for some help.
Attachments
freecad error.png
freecad error.png (33.96 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Syres
Veteran

Re: Freecad not openinig any more , after installing addons

Post by Syres »

It's caused by the accent in your username, the fix has been applied ready for 0.20.1. The new version installer is supposed to be released in the next few days but that is subject to any issues with the packaging.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Some Addons have problems with the french characters in your user name. To be on the safe side, I would also omit the space in the name.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

As mentioned it's most likely due to the special character in your username. See if running the dev version solves the issue: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds
if yes you can either keep using the dev build or switch back to the stable 0.20.1 once it is released as it should have this fixed.
Alternatively you can create a new user without special characters to avoid all possible issues related to this (not only in freecad) and switch to using that.
renatozor

Post by renatozor »

Hi, thanks everybody for the solution.
I will install the 0.20.1 ASAP... and change also my user name ( that will be more complicated, win 11 is not my best friend... :lol: )
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Installing a recent version is with FreeCAD always a good idea, but I'm afraid it will not solve the issue. It comes quite obviously from an addon workbench, and there the AddonManager draws always the latest.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:35 pm Installing a recent version is with FreeCAD always a good idea, but I'm afraid it will not solve the issue. It comes quite obviously from an addon workbench, and there the AddonManager draws always the latest.
No, this is indeed a known (and fixed) bug in FreeCAD itself, the version of the addon in question is not important, see issue #7112
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:43 pm No, this is indeed a known (and fixed) bug in FreeCAD itself, the version of the addon in question is not important, see issue #7112
Sorry for the wrong information.