python3.9 module 'pivy' has no attribute '__version__'

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: python3.9 module 'pivy' has no attribute '__version__'

Post by adrianinsaval »

that's a question for the folk at pivy and/or for whoever is packaging it for your system.
waebbl

Post by waebbl »

wmayer wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:07 am
waebbl wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 pm Just remembered, that I'm removing the FreeCAD provided file during preparation of the source code (patching, etc). So it definitely uses the system provided file, see https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/blob/m ... build#L144
OK, that's fine. We should delete FreeCAD's FindCoin3D.cmake file anyway since there is a system-wide file available. Do you have to change something else to make the Coin3D check working or is it sufficient to delete the file?
That's the only change I had to do
waebbl

Post by waebbl »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:07 am
waebbl wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 am Have you checked if you have a cmake provided version of the FindCoin3D.cmake on your system
AFAICT cmake version was created 14 years ago. But this is a distraction from working out why some pythons have the version of pivy with __version__ and some don't.
Just installed pivy with support for python-3.9 as well as python-3.10 and it gives the correct output on print(pivy.__version__) on both occasions. Eventually your issue is related to packaging.
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

@adrianinsaval and @waebbl I'm sure you are both right that this is a packaging issue. BTW I am on MacOS, and there have been a string of problems with the brew stuff lately, don't know if this is related. I just have an error showing and don't myself know enough about the packaging to identify the reason for the error. Maybe it is unimportant, but something ain't right.
waebbl

Post by waebbl »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:13 pm @adrianinsaval and @waebbl I'm sure you are both right that this is a packaging issue. BTW I am on MacOS, and there have been a string of problems with the brew stuff lately, don't know if this is related. I just have an error showing and don't myself know enough about the packaging to identify the reason for the error. Maybe it is unimportant, but something ain't right.
From my POV you have several options here:
  • If that's possible on MacOS try out different providers and see if their packages work, i.e. pip or pypy
  • Report to the brew devs
  • Report to the pivy devs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

yeah the point I tried to make is that you should ask the right people about that.
waebbl

Post by waebbl »

wmayer wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:57 am git commit 7a198ca32e
Thanks, the patch works as expected.