New to forum Python versions

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ke6cvh

New to forum Python versions

Post by ke6cvh »

Hello group,

Just joined and eager to learn FreeCAD. I will use it for making models first for 3D printing but later I hope to make for a Taig DSLS3000. I also have a CNC laser cutter w/optional spindle. All of this equipment is never used by me except my older 3D printer (Makerbot Replicator 2 first generation from 2012).

The 3D printer is why I'm posting. In order to convert .stl files to .s3g I can only find a program from 2012 called ReplicatorG. It works on both Windows 7 and 10. Problem is that it needs an older version of Python 1.6 that I was able to download with searching. It worked. It seemed to have overwritten my newer version of Python when I downloaded and executed it. FreeCAD obviously uses a newer version of Python.

Anything short of having a dedicated laptop is there a way to go between the newer and older versions of Python? I'm not terribly tech savvy in many ways so I need to keep it somewhat simple if there is a solution. The newer 3D printer here is a Creality Ender 3 S1 purchased because it was optomized for TPU filament. I'd like to be able to keep the dual extruder first gen Replicator 2 (the one with the cool baltic birch plywood) in operation and likely use with PLA mostly and enjoy the dual extruders not available on my other newer printer.

If the obvious answer is to get a dedicated old laptop with python 1.6 and keep my newer laptop with FreeCAD and latest Python I guess I'll loook into that also.

Advanced thanks and best regards,
Mike
chrisb
Veteran

Re: New to forum Python versions

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ke6cvh wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 pm Anything short of having a dedicated laptop is there a way to go between the newer and older versions of Python?
Remove any mention of Python in the Environmental Path variables in your Windows installations. FreeCAD will run just fine with its own provided version of Python. However, it will use the version your Windows installation demands if your Envronmental Path variable calls for a specific file.

I do not know the exact answer for your ReplicatorG program, but you may be able to load the old Python in the ReplicatorG folder structure.

Gene
ke6cvh

Post by ke6cvh »

Hi Gene thanks!

Thanks for the really quick feedback and help. ReplicatorG is a 2012 program. Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone with experience on that portion regarding the Python.

Best regards,
Mike
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

ke6cvh wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:10 am Maybe I'll get lucky
Should be straightforward.

I found the following statement on the ReplicatorG page about installing on Windows. The specific page is

http://replicat.org/installation-windows

You may need to use the ReplicatorG preferences menu to manually specify where you’ve installed Python.

This indicates that what you need to do is possible.

The exact solution is left as an exercise for the student. 8-)

Gene