building LibPack

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
moosepr

building LibPack

Post by moosepr »

apologies if this has been covered before, I tried a search but libpack is a pretty common term

Im trying to build Freecad for Arm64 on windows, and I think I need to rebuild LibPack for Arm64 too.

I spotted cmake folder in the download zip, but im unable to find a 'CMakeLists.txt' file, so im struggling as to where to start.

anyone got any pointers or a guide?

Thanks

Pete
wmayer
Founder

Re: building LibPack

Post by wmayer »

moosepr wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:16 am Im trying to build Freecad for Arm64 on windows, and I think I need to rebuild LibPack for Arm64 too.
Yes, you have to. The LibPack that we provide covers only the 64-bit architecture.
I spotted cmake folder in the download zip, but im unable to find a 'CMakeLists.txt' file, so im struggling as to where to start.
I don't know what you mean with the CMakeLists.txt file in the LibPack. But as a start have a look at the libraries that are provided by the LibPack because you need all of them for a complete Arm64 build.

But this can be quite challenging if you want to build every library on your own. Mainly building Qt will cause you a lot of headache because over the years it has become a huge monster. So, if anyhow possible you should check if a pre-built package for Arm64 is available.
moosepr

Post by moosepr »

the FreeCAD folder and the xerces library I needed to find and build both had a CMakeLists file which allowed me to just open it in cmake, then once i have the dependencies and library paths correct, generate the build files

I was assuming it would be a similar deal for the LibPack. If not, I best get googling....
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

the libpack is a binary bundle of many other software that FreeCAD depends on, you'll need to get the source for each one separately and then compile or grab a binary release if available and put it all together, I wish there was more documentation on how to make a libpack from scratch but I think there isn't right now.
moosepr

Post by moosepr »

that makes sense, I guess I was hoping for an easy fix :)