Freecad not starting on Ubuntu 22.04

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
UbunTux

Re: Freecad not starting on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by UbunTux »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:35 pm alternatively you can extract the appimage, delete the libstc++ library and generate a new appimage with appimagetool, of course using the desktop file or a script is much easier.
Uh... how to say, we will stay on a success... :D
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

UbunTux wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:54 pm Un grand merci ;-)
De rien :)
toni_lv

Post by toni_lv »

Haavard wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:59 pm
UbunTux wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:39 pm I tried it also on Xubuntu 22.04 and it works. I will see how to create a desktop file
Here is an example.

- Extract the attached zip
- Replace "USERNAME" with your username in "freecad.desktop" and "freecad.sh"
- Correct the path to, and name of your Appimage, in "freecad.sh"
- Right click "freecad.sh" and make sure it is executable
- Place "freecad.desktop" and "freecad.sh" in .local/share/applications
- Place the icon folder in .local/share

Voila :)
Thanks a lot, I have just installed Ubuntu 22.04 and the only appimage I have trouble with was this one. In my case it opens perfectly.
electrosteam

Post by electrosteam »

I tried the method suggested by Haavard, but without success, on a Lubuntu system, that was working on 21.10.
The current download for the Appimage was used

Are there any developments on this subject ?
The naming of the desktop file seemed ambiguous to me.

Keep well,
John.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

electrosteam wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:24 am I tried the method suggested by Haavard, but without success, on a Lubuntu system, that was working on 21.10.
The current download for the Appimage was used
Can you be more specific what "without success" means? What is the output if you start from a terminal?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
electrosteam

Post by electrosteam »

chrisb,
Thanks for taking the time.

I did what Haavard documented, and tried to launch FreeCAD a number of ways:
- double click on the desktop file and select [Execute] in the dialog box,
- open terminal and enter:
- 'freecad',
- 'FreeCAD0.20'.

The two last versions reflect confusion as to the correct name.
Also, my Appimage is spelt with a small 'i', whereas Haavard spells his with a capital "I".

Discovered that my Lubuntu system offers a snap version of FC 0.20, not tried yet.
Of interest, a companion laptop with Ubuntu Mate 21.10 and FC0.20 was upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 and FC0.20 still operates !

Checked the logs, I could find no events recorded.
Keep well,
John.
electrosteam

Post by electrosteam »

FreeCAD 0.20.0 up and running.
I had not absorbed the sequence of suggested trials by posters in the thread, the install of Fuse fixed it.
Not sure I have the desktop icon working properly, but that is a minor thing.

Thanks to all,
John.
KevinBerry

Post by KevinBerry »

I was enjoying FreeCad version 0.22.0.dev and somehow ended up with a Mesa video driver update from 23.0.4 to 24.1 and FreeCad stopped loading.

My solution was to downgrade my Mesa drivers from 24.1 back to 23.0.4. Removing ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa allowed me to automatically downgrade my Mesa video driver and all was well again.

Here are notes that might help you:

1. I believe subscribing to Ubuntu Pro brought on the upgraded video driver which is currently incompatible with the latest FreeCad versions.

2. To see your video driver version: $ glxinfo | grep Mesa

3. I unsubscribed from Ubuntu Pro. Ubuntu Pro didn't cause the ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa to be visible on the Other Software tab of Software Updater, but when I added this repository I received no update to my Mesa driver so I believe Ubuntu Pro was pulling from this. By adding this repository I was able to see the repository on the Other Software Tab and then remove the repository and this automatically downgraded my Mesa drivers to version 23.0.4 which I had before subscribing to Ubuntu Pro because 23.0.4 is what is current with Ubuntu APT. Now the repository is visible and won't disappear and I don't know why it won't disappear, but it remains unchecked.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt upgrade (nothing upgraded for me so I believe Ubuntu Pro was pulling from this repository)

3. Purging the latest stable repository for Mesa drivers automatically downgraded my Mesa driver to the current APT version 23.0.4 from 24.1.
$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:kisak/kisak-mesa

4. The Ubuntu APT version 19 continued to work for me with Mesa Radeon drivers 23.0.4 and 24.1.
Last edited by KevinBerry on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.