FreeCAD 0.19: macOS Big Sur

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tomtom215

Re: FreeCAD 0.19: macOS Big Sur

Post by tomtom215 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:59 am
tomtom215 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:41 am where do I get the 0.20?
You get 0.20 from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... kly-builds .
I don´t get why it was perfectly working an all of a sudden it shits the bed
macOS security updates?
Jep, there was an update!
Capybaron

Post by Capybaron »

Hey Guys,

Running Big Sur 11.7.9 on a MacBook Pro 2017, 2.9 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i7.

I tried installing it using the dmg package, and when that didn't launch, tried installing using HomeBrew per the FreeCAD Wiki. Both resulted in the same outcome in terminal:

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libCoin.80.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libFreeCADGui.dylib
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libCoin.80.dylib: code signing blocked mmap() of '/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libCoin.80.dylib'
/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../lib/libCoin.80.dylib: code signing blocked mmap() of '/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../lib/libCoin.80.dylib'
/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/bin/../lib/libCoin.80.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1
/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeCAD: line 19: 2590 Abort trap: 6 "${PREFIX}/bin/freecad" $@
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

Just a bit of background: I'm a designer with zero developer knowledge. Installing HomeBrew is the most I have done in terminal. So I appreciate your understanding in my limited capabilities. I have used FreeCAD on another device and am hoping to continue using it.

Thanks in advance!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Capybaron wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:54 am I tried installing it using the dmg package,
What dmg exactly did you try? 0.19 is utterly outdated.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Capybaron

Post by Capybaron »

Thanks for replying, Chris.

I used the latest dmg from the website: FreeCAD-0.21.0-mac-intel_x86.dmg
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have a macBookPro also with an Intel I7. It's from 2019 and I used to run it without any problems on BigSur. I would rather try to find the cause why the official distribution doesn't run than fixing HomeBrew in the first place. Later you can of course compile yourself and become a famous FreeCAD developer.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Capybaron

Post by Capybaron »

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

How would I go about finding out why the official distribution is not working on my macbook? When I click the execution file within the official distribution package contents, the error message is the same as what I see below:

dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libCoin.80.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/lib/libFreeCADGui.dylib
Reason: no suitable image found

Seems like this libCoin.80.dylib might be the issue, but I have no idea what to do with this information.

Thank you
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Start FreeCAD with the additional command line parameter --write-log and find the logfile in ~/Library/Application\ Support/FreeCAD/. Post the contents here (in code tags).
Capybaron

Post by Capybaron »

I'm in the Applications directory within Terminal, and I'm typing

open FreeCAD.app --write-log

And different variations of that. It just says, open: unrecognized option `--write'

Sorry I tried looking up --write-log on various platforms and can't seem to figure this out. Do you mind giving me the exact command line text to type in? Thank you.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Capybaron wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:39 am open FreeCAD.app --write-log
Don't use "open" use something like

Code: Select all

/path/to/FreeCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeCAD --write-log
Capybaron

Post by Capybaron »

I did the steps you outlined, and while the install went as usual, I couldn't find FreeCAD folder within Library/Application Support. Adobe, Apple and a bunch of other folders were in there, just not FreeCAD. So maybe I was in the wrong place?

For what it's worth, I upgraded my OS to Ventura, and now the app is launching successfully.

Thanks for your efforts in trying to help me.