FreeCAD 0.19: macOS Big Sur

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alxscott

Re: FreeCAD 0.19: macOS Big Sur: stuck on launch

Post by alxscott »

Further to my previous post; I've finally managed to generate a log file. Please find attached.
freecadlog.txt
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

martin51 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:05 pm Just wondering: does Big Sur and migration to the M1 chip mean the end to FreeCAD running under Mac OS? Should I think about setting up a dual boot system with Linux?
As there is at least one instance running there is hope, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p441848.
alxscott wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:20 pm Further to my previous post; I've finally managed to generate a log file.
The log file is basically the same as the one I posted in this accompanying topic. It hangs on both systems in the line

Code: Select all

Log: OpenGL version is: 2.1 (2.1 INTEL-16.0.49)
Except that I have an ATI card instead of INTEL.
vejmarie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:42 pm ping
Vejmarie, should I merge the two topics?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:13 pm
martin51 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:05 pm Just wondering: does Big Sur and migration to the M1 chip mean the end to FreeCAD running under Mac OS? Should I think about setting up a dual boot system with Linux?
As there is at least one instance running there is hope, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p441848.
alxscott wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:20 pm Further to my previous post; I've finally managed to generate a log file.
The log file is basically the same as the one I posted in this accompanying topic. It hangs on both systems in the line

Code: Select all

Log: OpenGL version is: 2.1 (2.1 INTEL-16.0.49)
Except that I have an ATI card instead of INTEL.
vejmarie wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:42 pm ping
Vejmarie, should I merge the two topics?
Might be good yes
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Hi,

I just build full bigsur FreeCAD based on homebrew. Can you give it a try ? It is available into homebrew-freecad github formula repo.

vejmarie
martin51

Post by martin51 »

vejmarie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:22 pm Hi,

I just build full bigsur FreeCAD based on homebrew. Can you give it a try ? It is available into homebrew-freecad github formula repo.

vejmarie
Hi,

Thanks for all your work on this. With the caveat that I don't have much experience with Terminal or Homebrew here's what happened:

First attempt ended in an error indicating my CLT did not support MacOS 11 :? .

Second attempt, after downloading and installing current MacOS CLT package, went much more smoothly and seems to have installed a version of FreeCAD 0.19 that works under Big Sur. Only problem is that the FreeCAD application file was not installed in Applications folder but my workaround is to run it from Terminal using an alias of the FreeCAD exec file.

The attached pdfs are the Terminal logs for the two Homebrew sessions in case you find them useful.

Thanks again.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

martin51 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:31 pm Hi,

Thanks for all your work on this. With the caveat that I don't have much experience with Terminal or Homebrew here's what happened:

First attempt ended in an error indicating my CLT did not support MacOS 11 :? .

Second attempt, after downloading and installing current MacOS CLT package, went much more smoothly and seems to have installed a version of FreeCAD 0.19 that works under Big Sur. Only problem is that the FreeCAD application file was not installed in Applications folder but my workaround is to run it from Terminal using an alias of the FreeCAD exec file.

The attached pdfs are the Terminal logs for the two Homebrew sessions in case you find them useful.

Thanks again.
All of this seems ok to me. BigSur has introduced also XCode 12.2 which is the developper environment version which support dual architecture. If you upgraded from Catalina to BigSur it looks like that during this process your XCode has not been updated (I am not really surprised by that), which explained why you had to update your Command Line Tools.

homebrew is installing its binaries into /usr/local/bin and add the directory into your default path. This is to avoid any potential confusion when removing homebrew from your Mac. I can generate a dmg installable image and perhaps post it to our github release directory but I am not sure that my current credential allows me to do so.

I like the homebrew approach on MacOS as I can use it to recompile dependencies.

Enjoy FreeCAD 0.19 on BigSur and let us know what kind of issues you might met.

vejmarie
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the work. I hate myself for returning too soon to the previous macOS version :cry: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
qwerty_f

Post by qwerty_f »

Worked a charm :-) I temporarily switched to my Parallels Windoze and had to use the mouse. A real pain. Now back in business. Thanks!

P.S. There seem to be some differnt quirks with that build (lots of PropertyPythonObject::toString(): failed for <class 'NoneType'>
<class 'ValueError'>: call stack is not deep enough
popping up and the current window vanishing out of nothing). I guess that's connected with other things being done in that build. But basically it works under Big Sur.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

qwerty_f wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 am Worked a charm :-) I temporarily switched to my Parallels Windoze and had to use the mouse. A real pain. Now back in business. Thanks!

P.S. There seem to be some differnt quirks with that build (lots of PropertyPythonObject::toString(): failed for <class 'NoneType'>
<class 'ValueError'>: call stack is not deep enough
popping up and the current window vanishing out of nothing). I guess that's connected with other things being done in that build. But basically it works under Big Sur.
Hi

Thanks for the feedback. I liked to track the python object to string error. Is it appearing by using the specific workbench ? Could you post a full copy of the message when you got it ? Can you also confirm me that you have python 3.9 installed only or multiple version ? Brew search python will help you to determine that !

Vejmarie
rmspring

Post by rmspring »

vejmarie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:22 pm Hi,

vejmarie
FreeCAD running on Big Sur!! Thank you for all your work on this. I generally had some minor error messages on start under Catalina, now everything is happy.

Thank you!!