FreeCAD 0.19: macOS Big Sur

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vejmarie

Re: FreeCAD 0.19: macOS Big Sur: stuck on launch

Post by vejmarie »

Anno Me Nuehm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:03 am
vejmarie wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:22 pm I suspect this is more an XCode / OS build time related issue than anything else especially if 0.18 works. If you want to give a try to the homebrew build and let me know if that works better. be aware that the installation might be requiring that your recompile opencascade and freecad to support properly BigSur. It take times, but it will work I am pretty convinced.
Do I need the qt5 development files (headers, libraries) for the re-compiling of FC?

How would I go about tapping the FC 0.19 branch?
Latest homebrew is taking care about this. https://github.com/freecad/homebrew-freecad/
And yes you need qt5 development files, for re-compiling freecad 0.19. Just install everything with homebrew and you shall be good. Most of them are bottles which will come from Catalina. Only opencascade and freecad needs to be recompiled by adding the -s switch.
Anno Me Nuehm

Post by Anno Me Nuehm »

vejmarie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:41 pm Latest homebrew is taking care about this. https://github.com/freecad/homebrew-freecad/
And yes you need qt5 development files, for re-compiling freecad 0.19. Just install everything with homebrew and you shall be good. Most of them are bottles which will come from Catalina. Only opencascade and freecad needs to be recompiled by adding the -s switch.
opencascade went pretty fine, but fc produces some errors.

Code: Select all

==> Reinstalling freecad/freecad/freecad
==> pip3 install six
==> cmake -DBUILD_QT5=ON -DUSE_PYTHON3=1 -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=/usr/local/bin/python3 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS='-std=c++14' -DBUILD_FEM_NETGEN=1
Last 15 lines from /Users/me/Library/Logs/Homebrew/freecad/02.cmake:
CMake Error at /usr/local/lib/cmake/Shiboken2-5.15.0/shiboken_helpers.cmake:461 (message):
  The detected Python major version is not compatible with the Python major
  version which was used when Shiboken was built.

Built with: '3.8' Detected: '.'
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/local/lib/cmake/Shiboken2-5.15.0/Shiboken2Config.cpython-38-darwin.cmake:45 (shiboken_check_if_built_and_target_python_are_compatible)
  /usr/local/lib/cmake/Shiboken2-5.15.0/Shiboken2Config.cmake:5 (include)
  cMake/FreeCAD_Helpers/SetupShibokenAndPyside.cmake:25 (find_package)
  CMakeLists.txt:70 (SetupShibokenAndPyside)
I've tried re-installing cmake, but to no avail.
Anno Me Nuehm

Post by Anno Me Nuehm »

Anno Me Nuehm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 am opencascade went pretty fine, but fc produces some errors.
So...after purging all of homebrew (!), re-installing it from scratch, installing only the bare necessary packages, carrying out

brew reinstall -s opencascade
and

brew reinstall -s freecad
(tapping FreeCAD first), I could lean back and have a coffee or two...

..after some (longer) time fc 0.19 has now been successfully built and can be launched!

Hoorah! :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Much appreciated.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Anno Me Nuehm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:13 pm
Anno Me Nuehm wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 am opencascade went pretty fine, but fc produces some errors.
So...after purging all of homebrew (!), re-installing it from scratch, installing only the bare necessary packages, carrying out

brew reinstall -s opencascade
and

brew reinstall -s freecad
(tapping FreeCAD first), I could lean back and have a coffee or two...

..after some (longer) time fc 0.19 has now been successfully built and can be launched!

Hoorah! :)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Much appreciated.
You are welcome ! Enjoy FreeCAD on MacOS :)
martin51

Post by martin51 »

FYI Just updated my MacBook Air to Big Sur and FreeCAD 0.19 won't load (tried 2 builds: 22960 and 22846). FreeCAD 0.18-16146 runs though :?
alxscott

Post by alxscott »

FYI - 2013 MacBook Pro, Updated to MacOS 11.0.1 Big Sur -> FreeCAD 0.19 Build 22960 Fails to Load. FreeCAD 0.18 16146 Rev 1 Loads!
qwerty_f

Post by qwerty_f »

I ran a brew install freecad and it still hangs. FreeCAD-0.19-22894 (more is not available).

P.S. after the brew reinstall -s opencascade the brew reinstall -s freecad terminated with

make: *** [all] Error 2

Do not report this issue to Homebrew/brew or Homebrew/core!

These open issues may also help:
Auto-bottling for homebrew-freecad tap formulae https://github.com/FreeCAD/homebrew-freecad/issues/63
Installation of freecad/qtwebkit fails on Mojave. https://github.com/FreeCAD/homebrew-freecad/issues/95

Brutha

Post by Brutha »

vejmarie wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:41 pm Latest homebrew is taking care about this. https://github.com/freecad/homebrew-freecad/
Quick question about this, as I'd like to have a locally compiled MacOS version in order to support my SpaceNavigator (it needs the 3DConnexion drivers on the Mac doing the compilation).

Once I've run as described in the link above and compiled the first time, what are the steps to download any changes in the 0.19 branch, and recompile? Does it have to download everything again, thus losing any local changes I might have made? (this is only in case I fancy tinkering at some point!).

Thanks,
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Hmm, seems I spoke too soon! Actually my SpaceNavigator is working on the Freecad version I'm using on Mac, I had just assumed it had never been fixed and not tried!!!!

Still interested in my question above though, might be nice to have a "tinker" version!
martin51

Post by martin51 »

Just wondering: does Big Sur and migration to the M1 chip mean the end to FreeCAD running under Mac OS? Should I think about setting up a dual boot system with Linux?