New libpacks for Windows with Qt5.15, OCC7.5

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: New libpacks for Windows with Qt5.15, OCC7.5

Post by adrianinsaval »

Syres wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:12 pm There seems to be some differing standards going on here, Linux platform for FC is supported back to Python 3.6.x and throughout the 0.20 development cycle Win 7 users have been giving valuable feedback. Now at the last minute the intention is to completely disregard them, really bad karma IMHO.
Supported is not the same as providing binaries. We don't have binaries for python 3.6. We don't even have any linux binaries for FreeCAD 0.19.4.
Also I think the Conda builds still use python 3.8 so you should be able to use those. Also no one is obligated to support win7, I would say there is a differing standard benefiting windows actually, were an effort was made to keep it working in a OS that reached EOL, while ubuntu versions that reached EOL were abandoned (rightly so).
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

Upgrading Python to 3.9 now is not an option for me during the time consumption it takes to upgrade.
Maybe in a second step we can do this.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:03 pm I personally don't mind but I think this means dropping support for windows 7 in the installer right? AFAIK only up to 3.8 runs there.
OK, I did not know. Then we should stay with Python 3.8 but upgrade to the latest Python 3.8.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Syres wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:12 pm Now at the last minute the intention is to completely disregard them, really bad karma IMHO.
Calm down please. The decision was announced long time ago:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Release_notes_0.20#General

So since we will support Win 7, of course we cannot use a python that won't run on Win 7. I was simply not aware of that.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:53 pm Upgrading Python to 3.9 now is not an option for me during the time consumption it takes to upgrade.
As it turned out Python 3.9 is no option. However the upgrade to the latest Python 3.8 should be doable just by copying the python files. If you like, I can do this. So once i got your LibPack, I will apply the latest Python 3.8 file onto it and try if this is already sufficient.
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

We also need the debug version, with a postfix _d
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

apeltauer wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:36 pm We also need the debug version, with a postfix _d
OK, then let's postpone the Python upgrade.

What we should however consider is to upgrade Qt because they fixed many security-relevant bugs:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=67341
falviani

Post by falviani »

Hello,

I haven't pulled from master for a few weeks and wonder what the latest version of the LibPack is. I am currently building against LibPack-OCC76-V2-8 and had a significant number of packages fail when I built this morning.

Thanks in advance!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

falviani wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:47 pm I haven't pulled from master for a few weeks and wonder what the latest version of the LibPack is.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-LibPack/releases
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

falviani wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:47 pm I haven't pulled from master for a few weeks and wonder what the latest version of the LibPack is. I am currently building against LibPack-OCC76-V2-8 and had a significant number of packages fail when I built this morning.
I build against that libpack regularly -- if it's been a few weeks you might want to just delete your build directory and start from scratch, it should build without issue against that libpack.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com