Heads Up: qt5.15.5 has bug

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreddyFreddy

Heads Up: qt5.15.5 has bug

Post by FreddyFreddy »

qt 5.15.5 was released to the rest of us a couple of weeks (?) ago and is now the default qt5 version on brew.

QtWebEngineCoreConfig.cmake has a hard-coded version of 5.15.10 which means version comparisons fail - chucking up errors.

I copied 5.15.3 from backup and that worked as expected.

May I leave it to someone else to verify and persue the powers that be?
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Heads Up: qt5.15.5 has bug

Post by openBrain »

Which OS? Which FC package?
FreddyFreddy

Post by FreddyFreddy »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:35 pm Which OS? Which FC package?
I don't understand the question. We're talking qt source.
Gift

Post by Gift »

FreddyFreddy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:48 pm qt 5.15.5 was released to the rest of us a couple of weeks (?) ago and is now the default qt5 version on brew.

QtWebEngineCoreConfig.cmake has a hard-coded version of 5.15.10 which means version comparisons fail - chucking up errors.

I copied 5.15.3 from backup and that worked as expected.

May I leave it to someone else to verify and persue the powers that be?
Qt 5.15.4 > LTS Commercial Releases. I am surprised that homebrew is update to 5.15.5. Solution should be QT6.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

FC project doesn't compile Qt, it uses it as a library... So if the problem is only with Qt source, what can FC do?

Self replying : we talk about MacOS
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

qt6 is not usable with freecad yet I think, regarding LTS releases of qt, they are forced to release as open source 12 months after commercial release and commercial release was on june 2021 so it should be open source now.
FC project doesn't compile Qt, it uses it as a library... So if the problem is only with Qt source, what can FC do?
+1, this should be reported to the people at brew so they patch it in their release and to qt so they patch it in their sources
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Is it only affecting macOS ?
If no, Is there a patch we can run on our end ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Gift

Post by Gift »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 pm qt6 is not usable with freecad yet I think, regarding LTS releases of qt, they are forced to release as open source 12 months after commercial release and commercial release was on june 2021 so it should be open source now.
+1, this should be reported to the people at brew so they patch it in their release and to qt so they patch it in their sources
See release plan
Kunda1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:21 pm Is it only affecting macOS ?
If no, Is there a patch we can run on our end ?
Ticket #316

We need more details to the issue.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I ran into this earlier this week -- my solution was to edit the QtWebEngineCoreConfig.cmake file to fix the specified version number. After that CMake ran fine. Actually compiling FreeCAD via Homebrew libraries right now is not working correctly for me, I can get the Makefiles working, but not XCode.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Gift

Post by Gift »

Gift wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:17 am ...
Ticket #316

We need more details to the issue.
Sorry. In the first post I read something over. After chennes post I have noticed that.
chennes wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:58 pm I ran into this earlier this week -- my solution was to edit the QtWebEngineCoreConfig.cmake file to fix the specified version number. After that CMake ran fine. Actually compiling FreeCAD via Homebrew libraries right now is not working correctly for me, I can get the Makefiles working, but not XCode.
In the qt@5 formula the qtwebengine is removed from tarball [1] and replaced [2] from git repository [3]

edit: Maybe it is possible to replace version in qtwebengine. But ad hoc I do not find how the version is set.

edit 3: FreeCAD/homebrew-freecad is now inconsistent. @chennes Do you update pyside, shiboken too?
Last edited by Gift on Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.