(WORKAROUND) Ifc file is different than fcstd file

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
yorik
Founder

Re: (WORKAROUND) Ifc file is different than fcstd file

Post by yorik »

In many cases it's basically a case to use modelling paradigms that are "compatible" with IFC.
What works best with IFC are extrusions. So far these objects are recognized as extrusions by the IFC exporter:
- Part Extrude
- Arch Walls
- Arch Structures
So as a general rule, the more you use these objects, the safer you are regarding IFC.

That said, there is still a bug somewhere with your first file. I'll have a look at it later.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:16 am ...
In my opinion, bim would work well if there weren't any architectural offices and everyone started from scratch.

but now, over decades, work processes and, above all, responsibilities have developed that are difficult to change.

I see a possibility in the architect continuing to work as before, except using a master ifc file and creating ifc geometry files without attributes. in freecad this is very easy to do by making a simple copy before exporting. so I could export everything so far. additional new hired people could then e.g. insert the desired attributes with additional software
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

thomas-neemann wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:50 am bim would work well if there weren't any architectural offices
:D This will become my favorite quote. I also think they are responsible for much of the problems. And mostly for stupid reasons, for blindly following what <insert well-known BIM vendor here> says, instead of trying to make up their own workflow