[Enhancement Request] detach import/export/save from FreeCAD add additional data while import

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Enhancement Request] detach import from FreeCAD add additional data while import

Post by chrisb »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:05 am under linux you can end a single freecad.
That still kills the whole application, especially with brute force parameter -9.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: [Enhancement Request] detach import from FreeCAD add additional data while import

Post by thomas-neemann »

chrisb wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:07 am
That still kills the whole application, especially with brute force parameter -9.
It is intended as a suggestion if you have launched freecad twice for a time-consuming import in the background. if it takes too long you can stop it and keep the freecad running while you work.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

If you work with Different Application on Windows, there are some that kill a tab if it crashes. e.g. Firefox is such an app. And some which kills the whole Application. I'm not a developer but If I'm imaging an Application I would assume there is program code for the Appearance of an application (GUI) and program code that modify an open FreeCAD file.

Is it difficult to separate them, so the Crash of on part do not affect the other Program part?
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:19 am ... on Windows,..
it could also work e.g. running a 2nd windows or linux in a virtual box with freecad for background operations

Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

thomas-neemann wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:02 pm no, if I want something like that, I just start freecad twice
Kartoffelpüre wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:57 am As workaround, I currently do it the same. ...
Why would you propose Linux as second Process? Is the Calculation on Linux faster?
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:19 am ...
Why would you propose Linux as second Process? Is the Calculation on Linux faster?
I can't guarantee that. in my test with ifc import it was significantly faster

thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:22 pm How do you see the other parts of the enhancement Request?
in my opinion, freecad is sufficiently developed here to use it professionally. if time and energy is spent improving freecad, it should be done with techdraw, there are often regulations for drawings where something like techdraw is needed in companies.