IfcOpenShell latest stable version

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
bernd
Veteran

Re: IfcOpenShell latest stable version

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:... totally remove the old one, and install the new one system-wide if you want.
The red man with the white long beard has brought something for me :D I just had a few minutes to test today and couldn't wait any longer :) . Reading AND writing works for simple files. Yeah it works!!!
yorik wrote:... But there are still some heavy bugs, both in the importer and the IfcOpenShell itself, some test files even crash. ...
Ohh yeah lots of my standard test files which used to import perfectly crashes, too.
yorik wrote:... I guess now this all will require heavy testing and bug tracking, I'll ask Thomas Krijnen if and how he wants the ifcopenshell bugs reported, so we can do things an organized way. ...
As soon as my christmas and new year traveling is over I'm gone start using FreeCAD again and thus the new ifcopenshell.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

The IfcOpenHouse we used for export (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5125&start=20#p40981) does not crash. The pediment walls are on the wrong position.

Attached are two simple ifc-houses I made for testing a few month ago. One crashes and at the other the placements of the elements are totally messed up. You may could give me some hints where to start if I would find where the problems could be.

Bernd

EDIT: should we open a new thread just for all the export and import problems
Attachments
window-house--Allplan2014.ifc.zip
(134.6 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
window-house--Allplan2012.ifc
(279.71 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

About the placements, I still have no idea. I believe it is a bug in ifcopenshell, where sometimes the placement is computed into the shape, sometimes not. But I must have a better look at how the wrong objects are constructed inside the ifc file. If you want help me to try identifying these, and find anything different they have that might have that might cause them to be imported differently, it might get us further.

The files that cause a crash, unfortunately it all seems to happen inside the IfcImport.create_shape() function, and I found no way to know what's happening yet.

I also talked about this with Thomas, we decided to use his github repo for bugtracking, but we need first to merge the old ifcopenshell with the new one. The old one has received a lot of bugfixing (which might solve many of ours), and they need to be integrated in the new one. I'll play a bit with this in the next days, see what git can sort out itself...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:If you want help me to try identifying these, and find anything different they have that might have that might cause them to be imported differently, it might get us further.
I'll give it a try.
yorik wrote:... we decided to use his github repo for bugtracking, ...
Ahh good to know. So his repo will be the place to look for updated versions of ifcopenshell devversion.

Is it possible to get the commit version number of ifcopenshell using the python wrapper? In FreeCAD the commit verison number (its 2914 just today) is printed in the help menu. It would make things easier if we talk about different versions of ifcopenshell.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bernd wrote:Is it possible to get the commit version number of ifcopenshell using the python wrapper?
Not at the moment I'm afraid. You need to retrieve the version from git log...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:Not at the moment I'm afraid. You need to retrieve the version from git log...
Thanks for the information.

I could generate a file which only consists of one wall a opening with a window, which every time let FreeCAD crash during import. The file is attached. I'm gone try to generate one which has similar simple geometry but imports without crash.
Attachments
windowwall.ifc
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ah great thanks... this is a simple element to debug... It crashes ifcopenshell easily (freecad gives the number of the element that causes the crash):

Code: Select all

Python 2.7.6 (default, Dec  6 2013, 20:05:37) 
[GCC 4.8.2] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import IfcImport
>>> f = IfcImport.open("windowwall.ifc")
>>> f
<IfcImport.IfcFile; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'IfcParse::IfcFile *' at 0x7f7e2866e750> >
>>> w=f.by_id(501)
>>> w
#501=IfcWindow('2wdd8ZNYvCIBAbJKt6Qj8H',#4,'m',$,$,#454,#497,$,1300.,1200.)
>>> IfcImport.create_shape(w)
Segmentation fault
But I can't find anything unusual in the file... Indeed if you can create a similar one that doesn't crash, it might help. But don't loose to much time on this, because the very first thing we must do is to port all the changes brought to the "old" ifcopenshell to the new one... This might very possibly be a bug that has been fixed already...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Ahh cool. Thanks for the few lines of python code. Just found another file. 95 % of my own files crashes either at an IfcWindow like the last one or at an IfcAnnotation. Whatever the IfcAnnotation is used for?!? If I just skip IfcWindow and IfcAnnotation most of the files I have don't crash. But yes waiting until the updates of the old ifcopenshell are merged to the ifcopenshelldevelopment seams reasonable.

Code: Select all

Python 2.7.3 (default, Jan  2 2013, 13:56:14) 
[GCC 4.7.2] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import IfcImport
>>> f = IfcImport.open("onefamilyhouse.ifc")
>>> f
<IfcImport.IfcFile; proxy of <Swig Object of type 'IfcParse::IfcFile *' at 0x27c98a0> >
>>> o=f.by_id(17007)
>>> o
#17007=IfcAnnotation('2UprMIIvf1jBTAtJifM2Zb',#4,$,$,$,#16994,#17003)
>>> IfcImport.create_shape(o)
Speicherzugriffsfehler
Attachments
onefamilyhouse.ifc
(303.5 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I have a file that crashes with an IfcColumn. I don't think it is related to the type of element, but how the shape is built... But so far I couldn't find anything that is different in your latest example... But ultimately Thomas Krijnen will know what to look for.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Ahh, step by step I get to the point to be able to adress myself which part of the whole import system is responsible for the failore of an import.