IFC Export from FreeCAD

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
bernd
Veteran

Re: IFC Export from FreeCAD

Post by bernd »

Attached a simple FreeCAD file. The wall will not export to ifc but I don't have any idea why?
Attachments
schachimport.fcstd
(8.55 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I don't understand why your wall doesn't export, it's very weird. Simply, IfcImport.Entity("IfcWall") doesn't work at some point. Never seen anything quite like that!
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote:... IfcImport.Entity("IfcWall") doesn't work at some point. Never seen anything quite like that!
Thanks for informations. Mhh, the geometry was originally imported by ifc (but a more complex file withe rebars). If I use the body and create a new Arch wall the export works. Mhh I'm trying to investigage myself too.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I look at it since yesterday and cannot find what is wrong... That's crazy!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I finally found the error... For some reason, the string "IfcWall" was sometimes exported as utf8 instead of plain ASCII, which IfcOpenShell didn't like. This is now solved.

Thomas also did some fixes in IfcOpenShell itself, and raised the precision of the float numbers, which seems to solve all problems of non-connecting edges. The testhouse2 now imports much better in my test apps. Revit still doesn't like the ellipse columns, though, and the S wall doesn't work well in all apps yet.

I also added code to separate openings in distinct object, so more and more objects are exported as extrusions instead of brep.