ifcpipeline a online ifc viewer

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
bernd
Veteran

ifcpipeline a online ifc viewer

Post by bernd »

http://view.ifcopenshell.org/

Upload any ifc from your local computer and view it in a browser. I saw it here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 03#p425843

Does anybody has more informations? I assume it is Thomas himself who is behind this viewer!?

cheers bernd
bernd
Veteran

Re: ifcpipeline a online ifc viewer

Post by bernd »

bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

I somehow missed all of these ... :oops:
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

No problem, just for information and discussion
JellyPalm

Post by JellyPalm »

Hello,
I know I'm late to this party but...
Yes, I like this online offering, it is smooth and colourful and pretty, and turns on a dime.
Only issue: it's online!

I'm not a code person, but is it easy to suck up this Github code / make it into python>>> / and create an ifc-viewing WorkBench in FC?
Is that allowed?

FC is great for all sorts of reasons, but complex renderings of large complex Building model IFC's is , lets face it, not YET its strong suit.
In the meantime...

cheers
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

JellyPalm wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:09 am ping
there are a lot of free ifc viewers, what speaks against using it alongside freecad, it saves unnecessary freecad programming
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
JellyPalm

Post by JellyPalm »

Hi Thomas,

I agree, it is easy just to use any available IFC viewer.
However unless you pay lots of cash-there is no scope to do further design mods on the IFC in those viewers.
IMHO, It would be nice to be able to do modifications on the IFC in FreeCad, and simultaneously see a reasonable representation of what external parties would see if you send them a FreeCAD-generated-IFC to view.

I have imported a few quite large buildings IFC's into FreeCad.
Firstly they take a very long time (`30mins) - I guess the conversion into FCStd-native takes time, because alot of viewers are able to do that in seconds.

But once the IFC is resident in FC they look very blocky and basic - not pretty - everything is grey, including windows. The lines are way too solid and make small objects look indistinct (I don't think it is just my settings - I have tried every combination of import options in Preferences).

Also, in FCAD, these big IFC's are slow to respond and manipulate and very resistant to editing - surfaces won't accept grids, basic FC tools refuse to work nicely etc.
And when the model is re-exported as an IFC - a lot of the property information is lost-not just colours and textures but also opacity/transparency info (for eg: windows are opaque and cant be seen through etc) [attachment].

Overall its not an entirely joyfull experience.
The idea of easily importing a building into freecad - working on it seamlessly - an exporting it again (a core principle of BIM), is not yet without issues.

Yet strangely, when I export a FC created model (.FCStd) as an IFC - it looks perfectly reasonable in a 3rd party viewer - so obviously the IFC export portion of FreeCAD is not the issue.

So my idea of having the IFC viewer as part of FreeCAD, is that I am assuming these other issues would be more likley to get improved by all those wonderful developers.... ;)

IFC Comp3.PNG
IFC Comp3.PNG (368.88 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Cheers,
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

JellyPalm wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:23 am ping
i can understand your wishes but if it is only important to take part in a bim process now and immediately with the possibilities of freecad, then i would say it is possible if you use other free programs at the same time. here are examples

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=66092
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
ebrahim raeyat

Post by ebrahim raeyat »

JellyPalm wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:23 am Hi Thomas,

Firstly they take a very long time (`30mins) - I guess the conversion into FCStd-native takes time, because alot of viewers are able to do that in seconds.
Yes, I also think FreeCAD is Very Slow in large models. I have been write a WB and I mport my structure model into FreeCAD. beside that, it takes a long time to import, it is very slow in basic operation like change view or select object.

my ETABS model:

photo_2022-02-14_14-58-17.jpg
photo_2022-02-14_14-58-17.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
imported model to FreeCAD (function) :
photo_2022-02-14_14-58-21.jpg
photo_2022-02-14_14-58-21.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 2259 times
another model:
photo_2022-02-14_14-58-51.jpg
photo_2022-02-14_14-58-51.jpg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 2259 times