Textures for Woodworking

A forum to discuss the implementation of a good Materials system in FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dprojects

Textures for Woodworking

Post by dprojects »

If you still alive here ;-) LOL you can check my textures for woodworking at wiki: here. Made by phone but I saw there is lack of absolutely free textures for woodworking projects preview.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Textures for Woodworking

Post by chrisb »

dprojects wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:57 pm If you still alive here
What do you mean by that?
you can check my textures for woodworking
Last time I tried textures I was not able to save them permanently. Did this change?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:02 pm
dprojects wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:57 pm If you still alive here
What do you mean by that?
you can check my textures for woodworking
Last time I tried textures I was not able to save them permanently. Did this change?
LOL ;-) I mean here is no activity, like dead forum, maybe because there is problem with material and textures management at FreeCAD.
Currently they work fine as "Preview" only. This is quick good way. The way of binding to face is little problematic. MultiMaterial not works at all for me, like lost feature.

This is little too bad because textures have huge influence at the final user experience.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:02 pm I was not able to save them permanently
I think textures or any other materials should not be saved permanently in the project file. The textures can consume a lot of disk space, so the project would be too heavy to store or to share.

I guess, this problem can be solved by storing DIRECT URL LINK to the texture at external library. This also solves the material management at FreeCAD. All the textures and materials could be managed at some kind of wiki page. This could be all community around that share it. So this would be huge as wiki and this not need FreeCAD source code changes for each new material or texture. What do you think about this approach?

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

paullee wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:48 am Anything to do with Arch Texture WB ? :)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=31598
https://github.com/furti/FreeCAD-ArchTextures
Arch Texture WB is great but I wasn't able to store the texture permanently in config file. Is it possible? I was trying this to test if there is possibility to use it in case of Grain Direction, because there is great option to rotate texture on selected face. I saw there is light, but didn't tested yet.

I think textures are to heavy to store them permanently in FreeCAD project file, or config file. If the Arch Texture would be able to store the URL Link to external texture permanently in the config file this would push FreeCAD to the another much higher level.

Also if the rotation value would be accessible without decoding the config file, maybe this would be possible to use it as Grain Direction solution.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dprojects wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:03 pm Arch Texture WB is great but I wasn't able to store the texture permanently in config file. Is it possible? I was trying this to test if there is possibility to use it in case of Grain Direction, because there is great option to rotate texture on selected face. I saw there is light, but didn't tested yet.

I think textures are to heavy to store them permanently in FreeCAD project file, or config file. If the Arch Texture would be able to store the URL Link to external texture permanently in the config file this would push FreeCAD to the another much higher level.

Also if the rotation value would be accessible without decoding the config file, maybe this would be possible to use it as Grain Direction solution.
I had tried the WB but it was still developing, Fruti seems not attend to it for a long while. It seems there is great potential but I am far from understand how the codes works. Not sure it is something works together what you are pursuing and can develops your features based on what he already did.

Look forward to new development here :)
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Yes, the material area at FreeCAD is little abandoned. Directly at FreeCAD is good MultiMaterial approach that allow to add layers with materials. But this not works I guess. There is missing "Material" property for object, that should be automatically created. Also there is no way to store material permanently. Looks like the material has been applied, the color changes into blue but there is no texture. If you use Arch Texture for single layer it is even working until you don't restart FreeCAD. If this would be working one layer could be Wood Grain Direction pattern and together with Arch Texture workbench this grain direction pattern (just texture with grain) could be rotated on any face. If this would be connected somehow with rotation variable this could be transformed int "grain along long side", "no grain", "grain horizontal", etc.

FreeCAD has lots of great approaches but don't know why some of them are abandoned and other useless things are developed.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

It is open source, everybody can pick up whatever has been there :D
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

paullee wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:18 pm It is open source, everybody can pick up whatever has been there :D
I little busy with the woodworking workbench, currently trying to make woodworking tutorial, I really don't like create docs. But if I find some time, I will try to find out what is going on there at the Arch Texture. I don't want to interfere in someones work or private github. But maybe will try to look into the workbench code and look around if the "direct url" can be stored there somehow.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects