Materials in a separate repository

A forum to discuss the implementation of a good Materials system in FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alhirzel

Materials in a separate repository

Post by alhirzel »

I am going to be writing a library which consumes FreeCAD material card files. It would be very convenient for me (and other future users) if the solid materials database could be split into a separate Git repository. I would then be able to use the folder src/Mod/Material/StandardMaterial as a submodule in my application. Are there any thoughts on how the material database can be re-factored into a separate project to support this? I would imagine some of the tools should be bundled as well.
bernd
Veteran

Re: Materials in a separate repository

Post by bernd »

some hints ...

In the regard of materials have been made a lot of fixes lately. Make sure tu use 0.18 version fo FreeCAD. Furthermore there has some development taking place to move from ini format to yaml file format for material cards. This is not in master yet and only a proof of concept ATM. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=34374
alhirzel

Re: Materials in a separate repository

Post by alhirzel »

Thank you for your reply and your work. I reviewed, and I see the new ecosystem that is developing. It looks like it will suit my needs perfectly. For now I am planning to parse FCMat files directly, but as FreeCAD switches to this new format in a future version, it would be great if it were available as a separate repository with a library. I can help with this if desired?