material editor

A forum to discuss the implementation of a good Materials system in FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: material editor

Post by kkremitzki »

yorik wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:05 pm The crash is probably due to the expat bug on debian-based systems. Everything that uses xml in python crashes. But @kkremitzki is working on this I think... I propose to postpone to merge your PR until we know a bit more from him because otherwise it will make the mat editor unusable for a large portion of users...
Indeed, the proper approach is to backport coin for the fix, but unfortunately the state of the coin3 source package is a bit weird right now in that somehow, the version which is currently in Debian fails to build outright for reasons that seem like they should have prevented the package from getting uploaded in the first place. But once I've gotten that resolved, I'll have something that I can upload to the PPA, but I'll also need to get in touch with someone on the Ubuntu side of things to get it backported there as well. So, in essence, things are still a bit TBD.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

damian wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm /home/damian/freecad/src/Mod/Material/MatPropDict.xml
If we only have problems with xml, why should we use it? It is not even human readable (at least not easy). We could just use a python dict like we do ATM ... https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... #L103-L165
damian

Post by damian »

Because of the crash with the 'accept' and 'reject' buttons is previous to introduce the xml file. They also crashed with the original tuple.
I suppose that it's possible to do something with the methods accept and reject, but I don't know what.
I have other model-view working very well, in the task panel and the buttons with getStandardButtons(self) ...
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

it is in master ... git commit 195c530 :D

I found some issue ...
- start FreeCAD
- change to FEM workbench
- open material editor by click on material editor icon (the only active icon if on file is loaded ;) )
- change to material "Steel-Generic", any other which has Thermal --> Specific heat filled does the job too
- ATM there is in Steel-Generic a specific heat of 500 J/kg/K but on double click the unit changes, and if the unit is changed back to J/kg/K the unit is not accepted.
- In FEM material task panel the J/kg/K is accepted

bernd

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15557 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 9f2904e8ec9fc7075d83713a1ed1b33d7ca8d0b0
Python version: 3.7.2rc1
Qt version: 5.11.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Switzerland (de_CH)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:00 am I found some issue ...
- start FreeCAD
- change to FEM workbench
- open material editor by click on material editor icon (the only active icon if on file is loaded ;) )
- change to material "Steel-Generic", any other which has Thermal --> Specific heat filled does the job too
- ATM there is in Steel-Generic a specific heat of 500 J/kg/K but on double click the unit changes, and if the unit is changed back to J/kg/K the unit is not accepted.
issue #3781
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

bernd wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:22 pm
issue #3781
[/quote]

This issue got fixed by Bernd in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 7b36056c8f
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Should it be closed?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 pm Should it be closed?
yes with this commit it was fixed git commit f05d8c3
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 am
chrisb wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:42 pm Should it be closed?
yes with this commit it was fixed git commit f05d8c3
done
Mr N

Post by Mr N »

An Material-Editor for FreeCAD sounds nice. What status is it?

In case anyone is interrested in materiallibraries: There will be an presentation (in german language) of an material-hub in the Makerspace of the SLUB in Dresden (germany) in cooperation with http://materialarchiv.ch at Thursday, 5th of March 2020.

I will visit the event. Question (in english oder german) welcome.