Cfmesh problem

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

Steff

Cfmesh problem

Post by Steff »

Hi there

I am running into a problem meshing a very simple mixing tank, see attached step file. Basically this is a union of 3 cylinders, 2" inlet and outlet, 2m diameter tank. Ultimately, this will be an agitated tank. Both standalone GMSH and Netgen can mesh the attached step file, no problem.

However, when meshing using CFDoF, Cfmesh and snappyhex both do not mesh the inlet and outlet, GMSH takes an unreasonable time (stopped it after 30 min).

The obvious workaround would be to import the mesh. Is that an option? Which file format?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods:
* BOLTSFC
* CfdOF 1.19.4
* frame 0.1.0
* Manipulator 1.4.9
* QuickMeasure 2022.10.28
Attachments
mixing tank.step
(50.72 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
oliveroxtoby

Re: Cfmesh problem

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Steff wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:29 am Hi there

I am running into a problem meshing a very simple mixing tank, see attached step file. Basically this is a union of 3 cylinders, 2" inlet and outlet, 2m diameter tank. Ultimately, this will be an agitated tank. Both standalone GMSH and Netgen can mesh the attached step file, no problem.

However, when meshing using CFDoF, Cfmesh and snappyhex both do not mesh the inlet and outlet, GMSH takes an unreasonable time (stopped it after 30 min).

The obvious workaround would be to import the mesh. Is that an option? Which file format?

Any advice will be appreciated.
This works for me with all three meshers, provided the mesh is fine enough to pick up the inlet and outlet - attached as an example using refinements.
Attachments
mixing tank mesh.FCStd
(351.67 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Steff

Re: Cfmesh problem

Post by Steff »

Thanks for the quick reply

I can see where I got it wrong! I assumed, as the initial mesh did not include the outlets, there is no point to refine. In fact it is essential!