Addition of docker openfoam install option

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

oliveroxtoby

Re: Addition of docker openfoam install option

Post by oliveroxtoby »

We were really going for the simplest possible user experience, so at the time BlueCFD seemed the best. At a quick glance, setting up WSL looked like a bit of a process that might put off the average user.

In the same vein I would favour the all-inclusive openfoam.com download rather than requiring the user to go through any kind of multi-stage setup procedure.

For maintenance, I'm all for reducing the number of alternatives, and if WSL seems like the best way to go, that's fine with me.
markrmau

Post by markrmau »

ok, just looking at that. Either way seems to need some user installation work.

To get openfoam.com working I had to run a powershell as administrator and change the default execution policy:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser 1

Then you need to run the OF_Env_Create link.

It may be that openfoam.org is actually more easy to automate and make work with minimal user interaction.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

markrmau wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:14 pm ok, just looking at that. Either way seems to need some user installation work.

To get openfoam.com working I had to run a powershell as administrator and change the default execution policy:

Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope CurrentUser 1

Then you need to run the OF_Env_Create link.

It may be that openfoam.org is actually more easy to automate and make work with minimal user interaction.
OK, thanks! I defer to your better judgement :-)
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Hi Oliver,

For the docker application, the $FOAM_USER_APPBIN and $FOAM_USER_LIBBIN are set in accordance with the defined username while creating the docker container. Meaning that, if the user is defined as root then the $FOAM_USER_APPBIN will be ...OpenFOAM/username-v2112/platforms/... This can be solved by finding ways around it. However, The real problem is while building a singularity image from the compiled docker image, as the singularity image file system works differently. The singularity application is a popular option to run a simulation on HPC. Hence, is it not convenient to use $FOAM_APPBIN and $FOAM_LIBBIN for installation using docker/singularity applications?

Moreover, the separate install option can be also set while installation work. For example see here.