tutorials - language used

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bambuko
Veteran

tutorials - language used

Post by bambuko »

If the tutorial video and post about it is all in (for example) German, than perhaps?

1 - it should be posted in "Forum in Deutsch" (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewforum.php?f=13) ?

2 - it should make it clear in thread title that this post is aimed at German (or German speaking) audience ?

I know it is my fault that I do not speak German ;) :lol:
but in the same way that we suggest in "Guidelines for videos and tutorials" (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=36205)
that (for example) FreeCAD version being used in tutorial should be made clear,
I think that language and audience the tutorial is aimed at, should also be made clear.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
chrisb
Veteran

Re: tutorials - language used

Post by chrisb »

Your second point should be the least.
Moving the language dependent stuff to the language specific forums is in general a good idea, but they may soon be lost in the outdated oblivion (which by the way may be a good idea for some videos).

There is another possibility: There could be a subforum for these videos. For a start one general subforum "Non English Tutos and Vids" may be sufficient.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:09 am Your second point should be the least...
Agree.
I feel that using English post subject, for a post that offers (for example) German video, using German version of FreeCAD is equivalent to clickbait.
I see interesting topic, click on it, only to find that it is totally incomprehensible for me.

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:09 am There is another possibility: There could be a subforum for these videos. For a start one general subforum "Non English Tutos and Vids" may be sufficient.
Possibly, but probably too complicated?

I still prefer the simplest solution - post subject language should reflect video/tutorial language
so, (for example):
if it is French video, using French version of FreeCAD, the post subject should be in French (and same, for other languages)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For people looking for language specific topics it may be very helpful if we recommend to put the language in the subject, and do it always in the same way, such as

"Deutsches Video: PartDesign und Sketcher"

so that people can search for it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

@chrisb
Absolutely!
That is exactly what I had in mind.

Whether people will actually remember to do it is another story.... :lol:
(big red banner at the top doesn't prevent some ignoring the request to provide FreeCAD info ;) )
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

bambuko wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:55 am (big red banner at the top doesn't prevent some ignoring the request to provide FreeCAD info ;) )
It suffice to do what some other forums do:

first try:

Please add FC info following rules in: <link> to the question to make your answers more correct

Second post without info:

Please add FC info following rules in: <link> to the question to have correct information, if not we can't answer.

And then leave the question here withou responding till the info will be done.

Rough, yes Unpolite also Yes, but probably it will work.

I have had a recent "conversation" where the OP totally ignored the request for FC info, so for my part, whenever he post another message I will repost the request and if not I'm not reponding, but if I'm the only one this sort of "teaching" will not work.

I admit that I sometime forgot to put infos, or put something not "conforming" like "latest 0.20 dev" or 0.20.29999 (as example)

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

onekk wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:34 pm Rough, yes Unpolite also Yes, but probably it will work.
Yes, Yes, and it might work for some ;)