Getting started, need help

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Emick928

Getting started, need help

Post by Emick928 »

Sorry in advance for being the forum "billy dumb a$$". I've had my 3D printer for about 4 mo's now (Anycubic Vyper), and have outgrown and become bored with Tinkercad. I was hoping FreeCad would be a "next step" but have learned nothing in a month. YouTube videos don't seem to help as there are to many and seem a little more advanced than "beginner/basic" knowledge. So my questions are these;

A. Is there a better program I should be using, or is FreeCad considered the "next step"?

B. What tutorials would y'all suggest I get started with? I do not have any intention of designing the next gyro stabilization coupling for satellites, I just want to design what's in my head and print it. TinkerCad was just to limited for complex designs.

C. Any other advice you would have for me?

I know y'all are busy designing cool stuff, so thank you in advance for your time and input.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Getting started, need help

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Emick928 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:30 am A. Is there a better program I should be using, or is FreeCad considered the "next step"?
I just want to design what's in my head and print it. TinkerCad was just to limited for complex designs.
Hard to say, without knowing what inside of your head; tell us about it.
Any other advice you would have for me?
Work through the PartDesign Tutorials. Feedback is welcome, these tutorials are really maintained, unlike most youtube stuff.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Emick928

Post by Emick928 »

Thanks chrisb. Good point. There really isn't anything specific in my head right now, I just would like to know how to work the program. I will get back on those tutorials you mentioned. Maybe I just need to go through them several times. I'll keep at it I guess.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Don't you have an example which outgrows TinkerCad?